J.K. Rowling was in a live webcast today with Bloomsbury where she answered many questions about Harry Potter and herself.
She mainly talked about the Harry Potter books and their characters. She also said a small bit about what she’ll write next. Here are a few of the things she discussed:
- She knew that writing wasn’t a good career but she always wanted to write.
- She said she had many teachers who helped her express yourself creatively. She had a couple of primary teachers who allowed her to read her my work out loud which made her feel great pride. Lucy Sheppard was one of the teachers who helped her a lot not only with writing but with life as well.
- The first and last sentences she wrote in Harry Potter series were: First – She doesn’t remember it verbatim, but it had to do with a place called Dark’s Hallow which became Godric’s Hallow. Last – she doesn’t recall as it had to do with editing Deathly Hallows.
- One of her favorite moments along the way having to do with the books include Harry receiving his wand and Luna’s first appearance. She also loves the graveyard scene in Goblet of Fire and small things like ‘stupid jingles that Peeves says.’
- She also said that her second American tour was unbelievable as she could remember traveling in a car for 1st signing and blocks of people queuing and finding out the people were for her.
- She read a read the portion of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s/Sorcerer’s Stone of Harry going into Ollivanders Wand Shop and getting his wand. She said she wrote this while under a tree in a park.
- She says that Ron is perhaps more human than Harry because Harry is the hero. Ron sticks by Harry pretty much no matter what. Hermione is all about knowing stuff, so she is someone Harry needs. She’s very clever and she knows how to find out about stuff. She learns to loosen up a lot because of Ron.
- She says that the three characters really need to learn about themselves and each other. But self-knowledge is key. The Deathly Hallows are things that are very self revealing depending on which one a person chooses and by the time the trio come along them they are really prepared to come in contact with the hallows.
- Harry isn’t the most popular in the books… he is often the bystander and the eyes unto the world and slightly detached. She says this is the part of her that is in Harry… the slightly detached part as the writer.
- Hermione is the exaggerated version of her.
- Ron’s humor is the part of her.
- She says that all of us have felt that we don’t have a sense of what’s going on especially at the age that these characters are at when the books start.
- When asked if she knew that when writing these books whether they would help other children with their own challenges, she said no. It was only later that she realized this, especially how she got letters stating that the books have helped with bullying.
- She said that the initial idea for Pottermore came about because she felt it was time to do something like this because people were asking about ebooks. And she felt it was time for them and that she finally had time for it. But she, inevitably, wanted to do more. She was excited to put a really good reading experience online. But the visitors get a lot of extra material for free.
- She says that her next book will likely be a book for younger children, but she’s not committing to that. She has to see how she feels and whether she’s ready for another children’s book.
- Favorite color: pink
- Favorite food: sushi
- Least favorite food: tripe
- Favorite sound: the sea or husband’s snore
- Least favorite sound: husband’s snore when she wants to sleep
- Favorite sport: quidditch
- Favorite thing to do when not working: take kids out somewhere fun or draw listen to music cook and bake
- Quality you must admire in a person: bravery
- If I wasn’t a writer I would be: depressed
A replay of the webcast is now available here.
Popularity: 2% [?]