IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

This translator is for your use, but if you use it, please realize that you must reply to messages in English. Thanks and enjoy!
4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which got you into Harry Potter?
baty4potter
post Apr 15 2007, 09:04 AM
Post #61

Greatest HP Fan That Ever Lived

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Weegangsta, please don't double post. Your posts have been merged.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hermione@13
post Apr 15 2007, 08:35 PM
Post #62

Huge HP Fan

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,572

What got you into it Weegangsta? Hmm...another one attracted by the movies perhaps? LOL! Or maybe an addicted book-lover? Tell us, please.

+Quote Post
KatScratch
post May 8 2007, 12:04 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 6,331

I have to say it was the movies. I had a preconcieved notion that they were just kids books. Until I had to look after my 12 year old nephew one afternoon and he wanted me to take him to see COS. So I did and thought I wouldn't really be interested but I loved it.

Then went out and bought the books and rented the philosopher's stone. I became drawn into it. I didnt think I would since I'm possibly one of the older people on here, but the books are so well written and with such detail that not most young adult fiction has.

+Quote Post
Dijares
post May 13 2007, 07:50 PM
Post #64

Administrator

Member No.: 1

QUOTE(KatScratch @ May 8 2007, 12:04 AM) [snapback]126127[/snapback]
I have to say it was the movies. I had a preconcieved notion that they were just kids books. Until I had to look after my 12 year old nephew one afternoon and he wanted me to take him to see COS. So I did and thought I wouldn't really be interested but I loved it.

Then went out and bought the books and rented the philosopher's stone. I became drawn into it. I didnt think I would since I'm possibly one of the older people on here, but the books are so well written and with such detail that not most young adult fiction has.

*clears throat*

One of the older people - teehee - if she only knew. Well, I guess you could be. Perhaps I should start an older/younger thread...naw...we've done that already.

I had a friend who had told me about the 1st book, then my mom. My mom was really into the books. But I didn't get a chance to read one til around 2000. I was taking too many classes. Then I couldn't stop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) The movies came round after I finished the books. The books are all that matter to me - but I like the movies.

+Quote Post
Arsi
post Jun 8 2007, 02:55 PM
Post #65

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 152

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT

I remember hearing about Harry Potter, and I had absolutely NO INTEREST in it. "To me, it was The Hardy Boys go to magic school". I listen to audio books at work; it is a great way to pass the time. A friend told me about Harry Potter, and said that he had the first one on audio cassette. He said they were good, and since I had nothing new to listen to, I decided to give Harry Potter a chance. The first book seemed rather straight forward to me, that Snape was the villain. So I only half listened to it, but then she performed the old switcher-roo on me, and I was like oh ok, not bad you fooled me. I applaud you and give you credit. But then I now know how you write and you won't fool me again.

The 2nd book I knew that Lockhart was not the villain, but couldn’t figure out who it was. It was at this point I got into the name analyzation, and they became more interesting to me. I said to myself the diary as the villain, very clever...

The 3rd book, I KNEW immediately that the black dog was Sirius Black, and that Remus Lupin was a werewolf and his boggart was the full moon.

I was hooked after I went through the first book the 2nd time and paid closer attention and started to analyze the names and events a bit closer. Mythology has always been an interest in mine and it has helped me enjoy the books much more.

In a way I compare Harry Potter to the Simpsons. There are 4 levels the Simpsons work on to make it enjoyable
1. A simple cartoon that a child can enjoy
2. You start to recognize the other shows and stories on it
3. You can fully place the shows and start to get some of the satire
4. You can fully comprehend the show, what its deeper meaning is, and who they are trying to make fun of.

1. Harry Potter is a simple story of a boy going to magic school, and you follow the story
2. You start looking for meaning in story and trying to guess what is going to happen next
3. You analyze the names and look for deeper meaning behind the different things going on
4. You post on the boards coming up with your own theories as who is R.A.B. and long winded discussions if Snape is truly good or evil and start backing up your hypothesis with facts and suppositions

+Quote Post
Hermione@13
post Jun 8 2007, 08:01 PM
Post #66

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 3,572

Wow! You got into detail! Okay, well, this is sort of how I remember it: we were bored and saw SS/PS on PayPerView and I told my mom I wanted to be in the movie(lol, we would play acting so much then!), then I watched CoS(in the theaters) and was dying to try out, but then I read a magaine that they were all from Europe and felt retarded in thinking that I never noticed their accents! LOL! I guess, I was paying atention too much into what they were saying then how they were saying it! Anyway, I then found out they were books and then got hooked on the books and started my "hate the movies" era all becuse I saw PoA after I had read the books and appreciated them!

+Quote Post
You-Know-Poo
post Jun 17 2007, 12:55 AM
Post #67

Average HP Fan

Member No.: 5,310

QUOTE(ChimpBananers @ Feb 6 2005, 10:44 PM) [snapback]58669[/snapback]
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I remember my granmother asking me if I like Harry Potter, I was like "Eew, no!" And we have these things called Accelerated Reader in elemetary school, where you take a test on a certain book and get points depending on how hard the book was and how well you did on the test. Well, I had to keep up my reputation as the geeky 4th(?) grader and I couldn't find anything else so I grabbed the first one I could find: the Chamber of Secrets! By the end of the day, I had finished and I was hooked! I read the 2nd one, then the 4th, then 3rd, then 1st.

You know the really ironic thing? My grandma started this whole thing, bought me everything from books to the "action figures" and about a year or two ago I heard her talking to my mom about how worried she is about my sudden freaky obsession...

Hey! I remember those Accelerated Reading programs, we had them too.

My teacher in third grade had read book 1 out loud and well...
Somewhere between obession and addiction now

+Quote Post
hpfannx3
post Mar 8 2008, 05:04 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 7,360

I was into Harry Potter when the books first came out.
My mom started reading them and said they were good.
and i have been in love with Harry Potter ever since then.
My whole family loves HP and we go to see every movie together
with my aunt and cousins.

+Quote Post
imperio
post Sep 18 2008, 01:48 PM
Post #69

Newbie HP Fan

Member No.: 7,598

My Nanna was allways pestering me into reading on a whole when i was in primary school and i never really liked reading, anyway my Nanna bought me the books as they came out but i just put them in my cupboard and never really had any interest in reading them, then when the first film came out i watched it and really liked it it was'nt until i watched Order of the pheonix film that i really started getting addicted to Potter i watched the films over and over again and then one day beginning of this year that i got the books out of the cupboard and started to read after watching a documentary on jk and since them i'v just bewen hooked on all things Harry Potter. Looking on Internet for information on how she came up with the idea's and stuff but i will soon be reading the full 7 books agin for the third time this year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/gandalf.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wizard.jpg)

Punctuated for Baty.

This post has been edited by imperio: Sep 21 2008, 12:23 PM

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Sep 18 2008, 06:26 PM
Post #70

Imperio, though it is very nice to have you on the boards, and we do appreciate your posts PLEASE us punctuation. You never put one period in your last post which made it much harder to read.

+Quote Post
MrsGinnyPotter
post Sep 18 2008, 07:00 PM
Post #71

HP Fan

Member No.: 7,030

i would have to say movie. even though i had the first three books!

+Quote Post
imperio
post Sep 21 2008, 12:24 PM
Post #72

Newbie HP Fan

QUOTE(baty4potter @ Sep 18 2008, 11:26 PM) [snapback]140268[/snapback]
Imperio, though it is very nice to have you on the boards, and we do appreciate your posts PLEASE us punctuation. You never put one period in your last post which made it much harder to read.

Sorry Baty edited now i was rushing to get out so Punctuation slipped my mind. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Sep 22 2008, 06:26 AM
Post #73

QUOTE(imperio @ Sep 21 2008, 01:24 PM) [snapback]140286[/snapback]
Sorry Baty edited now i was rushing to get out so Punctuation slipped my mind. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Thanks for doing that! :~)

+Quote Post
MrsGinnyPotter
post Sep 25 2008, 05:58 PM
Post #74

HP Fan

Member No.: 7,030

Imperio i just realized how alike our storys are!
Except i got hooked on the first movie. But my Grandmother bought them and pestered me to read them and everything!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

+Quote Post
imperio
post Sep 26 2008, 10:13 AM
Post #75

Newbie HP Fan

QUOTE(MrsGinnyPotter @ Sep 25 2008, 10:58 PM) [snapback]140305[/snapback]
Imperio i just realized how alike our storys are!
Except i got hooked on the first movie. But my Grandmother bought them and pestered me to read them and everything!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

Cool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/highfive.gif) did your Grandma do the old stop watching tv it's bad for you, i never had t.v in my day just reading for me you should be reading at your age.

This post has been edited by imperio: Sep 26 2008, 10:13 AM

+Quote Post
whitewolf
post Jul 17 2009, 02:01 PM
Post #76

HP Fan

Member No.: 7,971

i've been a sucker for a good read since I was nine (I'm way above that now) ! I had seen the movies but really didn't care about them until the fourth one. I liked the effects and the story seem to have more body than the first three, although I had sort of fallen for the character of Remus Lupin, and I found Snape a little more interesting at POA. (Not to mention the cast was wonderful!) Anyway, So when OOTP came out I was more impressed. I started reading the first book a few pages at a time at the local bookstore last summer but never got too into it, until I got laid of work and caught the flu last Thanksgiving. A friend as a present gave me the first three books and my daughter and son the next two. In two weeks time I was through the sixth book! Could not stop reading! I went to the bookstore to get the seventh book. It was $25. I was told if I could wait six weeks it would be on sale about $10 less. I waited a day and paid the $25 plus tax. To this date I have read each book completely twice and still read at least two chapter per week from each book. (More if blogging and interesting thread.) Can you say addicted!! (My intervention is planned for after the movie!) LOL

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 02:38 pm