IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

This translator is for your use, but if you use it, please realize that you must reply to messages in English. Thanks and enjoy!
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Snape and Lily, Someone explain please
moose
post Sep 5 2005, 02:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,826

Am I missing something? I've heard alot about Snape having feelings for Harry's mother. Could someone fill me in?

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gazbo-s
post Sep 5 2005, 02:43 PM
Post #2

Newbie HP Fan

Member No.: 3,220

I think it all boils down to the chapter "Snape's Worst Memory" in OOTP. It cannot be his worst memory just because James and Sirius taunt and torment him, as this was by all accounts a fairly regular occurrence. Therefore it must be Snape calling Lily a mudblood. And from this it is a fairly easy jump to suggest that it his worst memory because he had feelings for Lily - whether friendship or love is a personal opinion.

+Quote Post
doctorapk
post Sep 5 2005, 04:59 PM
Post #3

Hugest HP Fan

Member No.: 785

There is no history of Snape showing any affection for Lily other than the alleged inference of guilt that he felt from that particular incident..
Butte...it would make perfect sense, that his decision to reveal the prophecy, or at least what he knew of it, to Voldemort..and the resulting horror he would have felt because of his actions...would serve to justify his EXTREME effort at redemption. It may be that because of this underlying guilt he is willing to take massive risks in playing the double agent with Voldemort.

48:hufflepuff:

+Quote Post
gazbo-s
post Sep 6 2005, 03:17 AM
Post #4

Newbie HP Fan

But then again, there is no evidence (apart from the memory) of him showing any DISLIKE of her either. There is masses of examples of his hatred for James, but none for Lily other than calling her a mudblood. As they so obviously spent a fair amount of time together in class (Potions at the least), it is a strong possibility that there was some friendship there originally, and possibly the hope of more on one side...

+Quote Post
Hermione@13
post Sep 17 2005, 07:30 PM
Post #5

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 3,572

Ok, well I have to think more of it, but right now I'll just type a really quick theory. Maybe Snape hates harry for something else. Maybe he hates harry becsause he hates James because he stole his potions book and took all his tips. Another one might be that he hated Lily and then he now hates Harry because he's a descendant. Just like the eyes, it's an ancestor thing.

+Quote Post
Dijares
post Sep 19 2005, 07:16 PM
Post #6

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(gazbo-s @ Sep 6 2005, 03:17 AM)
But then again, there is no evidence (apart from the memory) of him showing any DISLIKE of her either. There is masses of examples of his hatred for James, but none for Lily other than calling her a mudblood. As they so obviously spent a fair amount of time together in class (Potions at the least), it is a strong possibility that there was some friendship there originally, and possibly the hope of more on one side...
[right][snapback]85796[/snapback][/right]

I have to agree. He would, of course, call her a mudblood in his guise to be still on Voldemort's side. This is, of course, part of his ruse (the same goes for what he does to Harry). He does not want her help in the Pensieve scene, as he is so embarassed and filled with pride.

+Quote Post
Horncheese
post Oct 6 2005, 12:02 AM
Post #7

Newbie HP Fan

Member No.: 1,404

Yes poor old Snivellus has always been proud.

+Quote Post
josie
post Aug 28 2006, 07:49 AM
Post #8

Newbie HP Fan

From: the best place in the world :D WALES! *cymru ydy'r gorau!!!!*
Member No.: 5,365

this is what i put in my topic ( i think its being closed because there are so many others like it)

i think that snape might have been in love with lilly - even though he called her a mudblood i think that he did this just to play up to his part of being this "pure blood" wizard (which of corse he was not) i think that he hated james because james was more popular than he was and i think that snape did something very similar to voldemort....

*voldemort was half blood

*he created himself a new title/ name (lord voldemort) to inhance his feeling of self worth, also notice LORD

*voldemort left behind a book (even though it was a horcrux it was still a book that wreaked havoc none the l ess?)

*voldemort turned to the dark arts to make sure he was known

snape...

*snape was half blood

* he created himself a new title/name (the half blood prince) to increase his feeling of self worth, also notice PRINCE

* he left behind a book that wreaked havoc

* snape turned to the dark arts to make himself known. - snape must have felt unworthy at hogwarts and i think that he made a promise to himself to make sure that he would one day be known, and i think that the day snape over heard the prophecy and then later found out who it was about he seized his chance to get his own back on james for bullying him and lilly for not loving him....

oh! and aswel i think that snape hates harry even more because in harry he can see reflected the face and eyes of the two people he hated so much and the two people he thought he had successfully got rid of.

what do you all think??

+Quote Post
Zola231
post Aug 28 2006, 03:49 PM
Post #9

Hugest HP Fan

Member No.: 5,324

Snape and Lily could of had dates, they could of been really nice to each other. They could of had a relationship at first like harry and hermione's realtionship(im talking about friend relationship). I think at first there was something between them, and then it died away. I think their realationship died away about the time of Snapes memory.

+Quote Post
WickedWitchOfThe...
post Aug 28 2006, 04:33 PM
Post #10

Greatest HP Fan That Ever Lived

Group: Guests
Member No.: 3

Zola, one-liners are pretty much frowned upon around here. Please, if you don't have much to say rather than a one-lined post, refrain from posting at all. Thanks!

+Quote Post
Ramilda
post Sep 5 2006, 12:21 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 5,400

This topic made me wonder about the issue of Petunia's knowlege of wizarding issues as well. When Harry was explaining about the dementors attacking he and Dudders, Petunia knew all about them. In explanation of how she knew about dementors, she muttered about

"overheard that horrible boy talking to HER about it".

Harry assumed she was referring to both his parents, but she could more easily have been describing Snape and Lily in discussion.

+Quote Post
josie
post Sep 5 2006, 01:33 PM
Post #12

Newbie HP Fan

From: the best place in the world :D WALES! *cymru ydy'r gorau!!!!*
Member No.: 5,365

ooooh yea thats true!! hey she could have been! theres nothing to say that lilly never went out with snape?

+Quote Post
gazbo-s
post Sep 6 2006, 09:18 AM
Post #13

Newbie HP Fan

Josie, I don't think it even needs to be as simple as "Lily went out with Snape". Just as possible they were friendly (through their shared prowess at potions), with perhaps the hope on Snape's side that they would become more than friends. Then he calls her a mudblood out of anger at being caught in a position of embarrasment and Lily tries to help (you only hurt the one you love, etc.) and then to top it all she goes of with your worst enemy...

+Quote Post
Hermione@13
post Sep 6 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #14

Huge HP Fan

I think I agree, Snape only called her Mudblood because he was in a state of embarrasment. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) Even I would say something bad and wild if I were being interrogated.

+Quote Post
Zola231
post Sep 8 2006, 07:44 PM
Post #15

Hugest HP Fan

Member No.: 5,324

I think at the time of snapes memory thier was an some awkward energy around them.

+Quote Post
harrypotteraddic...
post Jan 16 2007, 08:17 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 6,135

well i think apart form the memory there is another hint in the book, didn't dumbeldore say that he trusted snape because he knew that snape really fuilt guilty for what heahd done.
now nobody really trusted snape but they trusted dumbeldore's decisiion, even though harry really wanted more veidence.
maybe it is because snape liked lilly so
1:his worst memory is his worst memory becasue thats when he called lily a mudlblood
2:he was so angry at the fatc that james got to lily and they ended up married so, as aroogant as he was he was actually convinced that lily was only still with james because of the son they both shared, therfor as soon as he heard the prophecy (not completely) he thought that would be his chance, i am sure he knew harry's birthday, if we are following on the theory that he loved lily then he would know everything about her
so he told V thinking that by eliminating the only connection,as he saw it, between lily and james, lily would come running to him
just a thought

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Jan 16 2007, 06:16 PM
Post #17

Greatest HP Fan That Ever Lived

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

In my opinion, I feel you are reading way too much into this. As I have said before, and will always feel, unless JK says otherwise, that this is way to soap operaish. In fact even if this was the case I'd still feel this way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laughing.gif)

+Quote Post
Hermione@13
post Jan 16 2007, 06:37 PM
Post #18

Huge HP Fan

Actually, I think it's quite possible because Jo is always reminding us of the "love factor" in the books. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) It may be, as liza said, that's one reason to why DD trusts Snape.

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Jan 17 2007, 12:29 AM
Post #19

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 5,046

There is quite an extensive discussion on the Snape and Lilly theory in another thread.

"Dumbledore's 'Ironclad' Proof of Snape's Loyalty, Snape loved Lilly. Simple as." Which in in the Theories Thread.

So Moose if you wanted to read more about it, alot has been discussed there and it'll give you the facts behind the theory.

+Quote Post
My Pensieve
post Jan 17 2007, 06:52 AM
Post #20

HP Fan

Member No.: 7

I have one thing to say.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/crazy.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 08:33 pm