IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

This translator is for your use, but if you use it, please realize that you must reply to messages in English. Thanks and enjoy!
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Seven: The perfect number
Bellezza
post Apr 22 2006, 10:57 PM
Post #1

Average HP Fan

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,790

Is there more to the number seven than we all think? By now, most of know that Voldemort believed seven to be the perfect number, the most magically powerful number, which is why he would want to have seven horcruxes of himself...but what about everyone else? Is seven a superstitious or "lucky" number to the rest of the wizarding world?

I have been reading a few things and noticed that the number seven tends to come up quite often. The most notable being that there is seven books within the series. I never gave it much thought until the importance of seven appeared in the sixth. Why does Hogwarts think that wizards are adults at 17 and not 18 like Muggles? Seven years inside schools. In the first book, there are seven challenges guarding the Sorcerer's Stone...
Fluffy (set by Hagrid)
the Devil's Snare (set by Sprout)
the winged keys (set by Flitwick)
the chess game (set by McGonagall)
the troll (set by Quirrell)
the riddle of the potions (set by Snape)
the Mirror of Erised (set by Dumbledore)

Also...there are seven Weasley children. Seven players on a Quidditch team. Mad-Eye Moody's trunk had seven locks on it...(even though he was inside when we read this part). The seventh floor is where D.A. meet for practice. To be "of age" you must be SEVENteen. Harry was born as the "seventh month dies" (which to me makes me think that being born in the seventh month would make you quite magically powerful according to Voldemort's belief...anywho). There are seven students in Slughorn's Slug Club. A lot of things in potion making have the time seven within the directions...i.e. seven stirs, seven seconds, etc and also the time seven o'clock is used often as well.

What do you guys think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
martinmiggs101
post Apr 23 2006, 10:26 AM
Post #2

HP Fan

Member No.: 4,299

gosh... well done... i really admire your research...! 09:o

+Quote Post
hoodie7
post Apr 26 2006, 07:43 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,678

yeah i thought it said somewhere in the books that seven was a magical number?

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Jun 20 2006, 01:49 AM
Post #4

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 5,046

That's awesome research! I was looking through the books to see any other mentions of the number seven, and your're right the number seven is mentioned much more then other numbers. In addition to the points you already had, here are some I've found;

Vault seven hundred and thirteen
The portrait of the Fat Lady and the Griffindor common room are on floor seven
Before the Philosopheres Stone Slytherin had won the championship seven times
seven secret passasges connect Hogwarts to Hogsmede
In 100 hundred years there were seven registerd animigi
Harry got seven OWLs
According to Trewlewny the seven of spades is Ill fated
As well as almost all quidditch scores having the number 7 in them.......

Coinsidence? Does JKR just like the number 7? Or is there more to it?

+Quote Post
Anti
post Jun 20 2006, 04:02 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,916

wow thats crazy lol

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Jun 21 2006, 04:18 AM
Post #6

Huge HP Fan

Hmm and from JKR herself;
JKR: The backstory with Ginny was, she was the first girl to arrive in the Weasley family in generations, but there's that old tradition of the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter and a seventh son of a seventh son, so that's why she's the seventh, because she is a gifted witch. I think you get hints of that, because she does some pretty impressive stuff here and there, and you'll see that again.

So I think it's safe to assume that seven is in fact a powerful number in the magic world.

+Quote Post
Anti
post Jun 24 2006, 02:35 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 4,916

after looking around a little i saw this. the rumored release date for the 7th book is 07-07-07..... hmm thats really interesting. if 7 is that powerful i think she planned the last book to be released on 07-07-07, if not a first she did later on. crazy when you think of it.

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Jun 26 2006, 06:00 PM
Post #8

Greatest HP Fan That Ever Lived

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I believe I gave you my answer but think it was deleted when we were hacked into.

It does sound like a good time to release the book except since WB is going to release OOTP on July 13 I have trouble believing that JK would release the book a week before. If that were the case and she was going to release the book then I would think WB would move the Premiere date of the movie.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that 07.07.07 is a rumor and someone is playing with numbers.

I'm actually hoping for the first weekend of May 07, I'll be in England then. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Schlubalybub
post Jun 27 2006, 03:48 AM
Post #9

From: A small planet somewhere in the Vicinity of Betelgeuse
Member No.: 5,066

QUOTE(Anti @ Jun 24 2006, 08:35 AM) [snapback]103734[/snapback]

after looking around a little i saw this. the rumored release date for the 7th book is 07-07-07..... hmm thats really interesting. if 7 is that powerful i think she planned the last book to be released on 07-07-07, if not a first she did later on. crazy when you think of it.

I'm sorry but I think that she will not release the book then, because she's British, and the 7th July is a bad day for Brits because of the July bombings. It would be like releasing the books on 11th September...distasteful.

Also, she is probably going to release on a Saturday, like she has for the last few books

But I do think that the number seven is prominent in the books, Ginny is the seventh daughter of a seventh daughter of a seventh son of a seventh son (I love Iron maiden by the way :) )

Harry was born "as the seventh month dies"

+Quote Post
danradcliffefan
post Jul 2 2006, 09:15 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,084

It's not only the number 7 that is prominent, although it is the most prominent....11 is also to be found a couple of times, but not that much though....but the numbers in the book is very signaficant and 7 is a very good number in the magical world.

Oh, and baty4potter, if you are reading this, the 7th book will be released in July 2007(According to JK's agent). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) . But I'm not so sure if it's the 7th of July (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ...Ya never know...

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Jul 2 2006, 01:03 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(danradcliffefan @ Jul 2 2006, 09:15 AM) [snapback]104021[/snapback]

It's not only the number 7 that is prominent, although it is the most prominent....11 is also to be found a couple of times, but not that much though....but the numbers in the book is very signaficant and 7 is a very good number in the magical world.

Oh, and baty4potter, if you are reading this, the 7th book will be released in July 2007(According to JK's agent). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) . But I'm not so sure if it's the 7th of July (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) ...Ya never know...

Where did you read that according to JK's agent the book would be released in July 2007. Please give us your support for this.

Now there is a story that was just released by Reuters that they expect a 2007 release. Back in May that is what Bloomsbury was calling for so Reuters has picked up on it also. No month was mentioned.

This is what was said.....
Back in May, Bloomsbury co-founder Liz Calder predicted that the seventh book in the Potter series would be released in 2007. Now, a new article released by Reuters also predicts the aforementioned:

Harry Potter fans will have to wait until next year for the latest installment of the boy wizard's antics to come out in hardback. The paperback version of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince has gone to number one since its launch, the company said.

Although not a direct quote from Bloomsbury, any news is good news for those skeptical of a release as soon as next year. Articles that state this type of information will typically receive this news from analysts who have an inside track or are well-informed with how these companies do business.

So if you have some inside info that we are not aware of please provide us with it.

+Quote Post
riddlemethis326
post Jul 3 2006, 10:33 AM
Post #12

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 4,784

In the sixth book, Tom said himself that seven was the magic number, so of course seven will be a prominant number in all of the books...

+Quote Post
Bellezza
post Jul 3 2006, 11:15 AM
Post #13

Average HP Fan

Member No.: 4,790

Exactly....Voldemort thinks that seven is a powerful number....but does the rest of the wizarding world? Is it something that is superstitious among wizards? I can see wizards like Moody and Slughorn being such....but Dumbledore? And yet he still used seven challenges to guard the stone.

About the release date of the book, 7.7.07 would be an awesome day to release the book, but I highly doubt it because of all that baty has mentioned. It wouldn't get as much press and attention if it were released the same week as the OotP movie. Unless they are planning on announcing a Harry Potter week? Haha...the fans would go crazy!

+Quote Post
danradcliffefan
post Jul 3 2006, 04:05 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(baty4potter @ Jul 2 2006, 09:03 PM) [snapback]104028[/snapback]
So if you have some inside info that we are not aware of please provide us with it.

Ok baty4potter, I'll get back to you on this one...I'll find the website again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) it was a month ago, and I was just browsing, so I don't know the website. Anyway, you sound hostile...don't be...ok?

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Jul 3 2006, 06:24 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(danradcliffefan @ Jul 3 2006, 04:05 PM) [snapback]104104[/snapback]

Ok baty4potter, I'll get back to you on this one...I'll find the website again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) it was a month ago, and I was just browsing, so I don't know the website. Anyway, you sound hostile...don't be...ok?

I'm not trying to sound hostile, but I have had way to many people come on these boards and start/say things that are not true, so I am only giving you the response I give everyone else.

When you find something like this give us the proof through a web page or you will be given the response you got.

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Jul 4 2006, 03:44 AM
Post #16

Huge HP Fan

Exactly....Voldemort thinks that seven is a powerful number....but does the rest of the wizarding world? Is it something that is superstitious among wizards? I can see wizards like Moody and Slughorn being such....but Dumbledore? And yet he still used seven challenges to guard the stone.

It could just be (I don't know the word for it) a idea or myth, like the entire Pure-bloods being stronger or better thing. Seems like something that would appeal to Voldemort, just like the Pure-Blood thing does do some wizards.

+Quote Post
Frozen Flame
post Jul 4 2006, 07:50 AM
Post #17

Average HP Fan

Member No.: 738

I'm rather surprised that seven hasn't been mentioned in relation to the Bible yet. The number seven is extremely common in the Bible, and is regarded as the perfect number or God's number. Revelations... Seven seals. Seven lampstands. Seven stars. Seven Churches. Seven Trumpets. ... the world was made in seven days. Hey, we still have seven days in a week.

This is very likely to be the root of the number seven's significance. It holds deep significance about wholeness, completion and perfection. Divinity

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Jul 4 2006, 09:19 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(Frozen Flame @ Jul 4 2006, 07:50 AM) [snapback]104141[/snapback]

I'm rather surprised that seven hasn't been mentioned in relation to the Bible yet. The number seven is extremely common in the Bible, and is regarded as the perfect number or God's number. Revelations... Seven seals. Seven lampstands. Seven stars. Seven Churches. Seven Trumpets. ... the world was made in seven days. Hey, we still have seven days in a week.

This is very likely to be the root of the number seven's significance. It holds deep significance about wholeness, completion and perfection. Divinity

Probably because religion is not brought up in the books. It's not about religion so it's not talked about. It could cause a lot of arguments. Not that there aren't a lot of arguments in the books already. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
danradcliffefan
post Jul 4 2006, 04:48 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(baty4potter @ Jul 4 2006, 02:24 AM) [snapback]104110[/snapback]

I'm not trying to sound hostile, but I have had way to many people come on these boards and start/say things that are not true, so I am only giving you the response I give everyone else.

When you find something like this give us the proof through a web page or you will be given the response you got.

I completely understand (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) It's just that I did read it...I will give the website when I find it. *man, where is my memory when I need it!!!* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/crying.gif)

+Quote Post
danradcliffefan
post Jul 5 2006, 02:20 PM
Post #20

ok, I found the website....and to follow is my sinscere apology to the mods of the forum-espescially baty4potter (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif)

this is definitely the website I read, and I was too exited when I read it a little while before. Maybe my mind played some tricks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

http://www.hpana.com/news.19431.html

But I do hope that HP book7 will be released before July...darn, I wouldn't mind if they release it TOMMOROW (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 04:00 am