IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

This translator is for your use, but if you use it, please realize that you must reply to messages in English. Thanks and enjoy!
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why Didn't Harry Just Summon the golden egg?, why harry didnt just say "accio golden egg"
Perseus_Evans
post Jan 3 2007, 03:01 PM
Post #21

Big HP Fan

Group: Members
Member No.: 704

You're all missing the obvious.... There was a DRAGON there. A NESTING mother! This factor complicates things a bit...

Picture this: Harry (or Krum, Fleur or Cedric) walks into the enclosure and says "accio egg"... Well great! Here comes an egg zooming through the air with a protective mother dragon following closely behind it... The result: Harry Jubilee! Fleur Flambee! Cajun Krum! Or... it bounces off the dragon's backside... tipping the dragon off and making it more protective than before. In either case, a poorly thought out strategy...

Just summoning the egg simply wouldn't work. The key was to successfully distract the dragon enough to get past and steal the egg and survive the process (or come out relatively unscathed). In each case, accomplishing the goal, first requires a diversion.

Now... I will agree that once the dragon was distracted, the summoning charm might have been used well, but I'd also say the fact that the charm requires heavy concentration made it less likely to be successful in the heat of such a moment.

Bottom line, it wouldn't have worked as easily as you think...

Now if you ask me about the second task, I'd say "Accio Ron!" would have been a good option... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
xc coach
post Jan 3 2007, 03:39 PM
Post #22

Average HP Fan

Member No.: 8

Fantastic answer, Perseus. (as usual) I also thought -- as has been mentioned in this thread -- that they just didn't think of it. You know how it is. The simplest solution sometimes gets overlooked.

The same thing happened in the 2nd task when "Accio Ron" could have been a solution. Live and learn!

+Quote Post
Hermione@13
post Jan 3 2007, 09:04 PM
Post #23

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 3,572

You know...that actually makes a lot of sense! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif) I think that Harry just overlooked it, but if you were smart enough to think then it would make sense the dragon would probably be so protective it might even squash the egg.

+Quote Post
enara
post Jan 3 2007, 09:17 PM
Post #24

Average HP Fan

Member No.: 4,472

But if you summoned the egg and the egg got to you before the daragon did than your task is over and the dragons would be once again in the hands of the people who were responsible for the dragon before the task.

+Quote Post
Perseus_Evans
post Jan 3 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #25

Big HP Fan

But... The real question is:

Does a dragon's breath travel faster than a summoned egg?

And if you don't know the answer... Is it worth finding out? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post
My Pensieve
post Jan 4 2007, 07:05 AM
Post #26

HP Fan

Member No.: 7

And then again maybe it wasn't even an option? Maybe a spell was put on the whole thing so it couldn't be summoned? Maybe we're trying too hard to figure something out that doesn't come into play?

+Quote Post
enara
post Jan 4 2007, 09:19 PM
Post #27

Average HP Fan

Member No.: 4,472

Oh right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I forgot the dragon could breath fire.
Yeah All in all I think My Pensive is right, you werent allowed to summon it. The champions probobly were told it just didn't say in the book.

+Quote Post
~*~Serendipity~*...
post Jan 4 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #28

Average HP Fan

Member No.: 5,122

But yet again comes the argument that since its not in the book you cant argue it either way. But I still think Perseus is correct on the part where "OMG there's a dragon, what to do". But then again they were all forwarned so they werent surprised at all.

+Quote Post
harrypotteraddic...
post Jan 5 2007, 02:46 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 6,135

QUOTE(MaraudersG1rl @ Aug 1 2006, 07:34 PM) [snapback]106274[/snapback]
After working hard to perfect his summoning charm before the first task, it seemed strange to me that harry wouldnt just summon the egg. It was also strange how none of the champions even tried to summon it. Was there something in the rules in the first task that said they were not allowed to bring the egg to them magically? because i dont remember anything but maybe there was...maybe they just thought to hard about how to get the egg and overlooked the obvious.

why do you guys think no one at least attempted to summon it?

[size="2"][/size][color="#800080"][/color][font="Comic Sans MS"][/font] well its probably true that there was a spell on the egg i mena that would explain why nobody else attempted it maybe it snot because there is a spell but simply because the dragon could easily stop it i mena he is guarding it so i guess even a dragon would notice that the object its protecting is flyin away which is different with the broom becasue it was a foreign object that the dragon ddnt notice flying towards him untill after harry hopped on it

+Quote Post
Perseus_Evans
post Jan 5 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #30

Big HP Fan

Gee why didn't I think of that?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

It's not a one-liner anymore!

+Quote Post
Hermione@13
post Jan 5 2007, 04:21 PM
Post #31

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 3,572

That's what I'm saying. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif) The dragon's guarding the egg, so obviously it's going to try and stop it from getting away, but I think the other champions were thinking too hard and just overlooked it.

+Quote Post
iareaj
post Jan 23 2007, 11:42 PM
Post #32

Hugest HP Fan

Member No.: 35

I agree with perseus... i think that no one tried to summon it because the problem wasn't exactly there. Grabbing the egg was easy. The difficult part was avoiding the dragon... with the egg in your hands!

+Quote Post
Cpt. Jack
post Feb 10 2007, 05:31 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 6,192

There could be like a spell block to stop them from Summoning...

+Quote Post
harrypotter11
post Mar 28 2007, 04:56 PM
Post #34

HP Fan

Member No.: 4,975

QUOTE(Cpt. Jack @ Feb 10 2007, 07:31 PM) [snapback]122491[/snapback]
There could be like a spell block to stop them from Summoning...

I agree, Jack. If we were to read the rules, there probably is a rule against summoning the object you're trying to get. Another good question to add to this topic is "Why couldn't Harry just kill the dragon?" or other questions like that. The answers would end up being in the rules, which we'll never see (but if Harry did kill the dragon he would face lawsuits, owe money, and most likely go to Azkaban. He'd be cheating anyways.) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/upsidedown.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/upsidedown.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/upsidedown.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/upsidedown.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/upsidedown.gif)

+Quote Post
crmhpfan
post Mar 30 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #35

Huge HP Fan

Group: News Posters
Member No.: 4,800

I agree, Jack. If we were to read the rules, there probably is a rule against summoning the object you're trying to get. Another good question to add to this topic is "Why couldn't Harry just kill the dragon?" or other questions like that. The answers would end up being in the rules, which we'll never see (but if Harry did kill the dragon he would face lawsuits, owe money, and most likely go to Azkaban. He'd be cheating anyways.) upsidedown.gif upsidedown.gif upsidedown.gif upsidedown.gif upsidedown.gif

I was just skimming through this topic, and I was going to say exactly what you said harrypotter11! But I do agree, I think it would be against the rules to be able to simply summon the egg, and until they walk into the enclosure, they supposedly had no idea what they were facing, (except for the fact that all of the champions cheated a bit lol).

+Quote Post
Rom Tiddle
post Aug 14 2007, 09:12 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 6,966

Wow! never thought of something like this. Maybe they were given points on how they got the egg. Summoning would be the common of all so they(the champions) didn't do it... or they forgot about summoning amidst the dragons, or maybe they were not allowed to do magic on the egg probably, it isn't mentioned in the book though...

+Quote Post
Phoenix70
post Nov 28 2007, 07:00 PM
Post #37

Average HP Fan

Member No.: 7,195

Hey, I'm new, and I figure that if you just summoned the egg, what would there be to write about, it compleyley defeats the purpose of the entire chapter. Everyone wants a bit of action everywhere somewhere in the book.

+Quote Post
domi
post Aug 1 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 7,536

i don't think harry should have been allowed to summon his broom, that just means he could have summoned the triwizard cup or summoned his broom again and flew right to the middle of the maze. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/broom.gif)
also he had the homefield advantage, coz if fleur or krum had wanted to summon their brooms and they were way back in their country they wouldn't have been able to. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/closedeyes.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 08:06 pm