IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

This translator is for your use, but if you use it, please realize that you must reply to messages in English. Thanks and enjoy!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> no health drink, cave potion
Ramilda
post Sep 2 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,400

It seems to me that the things Dumbledore is moaning during the drinking of the potion in the cave are memories of other people being tortured. He seems to be reliving these events, including the one from the scene in the ministry where Voldermort is inside Harry torturing him. The words "Kill me know, I want to die..." seem very close to a direct quote of what Harry was saying (though anyone under the cruciartus seems to say that, admittedly).

Appears to be something like the effect of Dementors, only not necessarily your own bad events, but including those of others.

Anyone else read it this way?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
riddlemethis326
post Sep 2 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #2

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 4,784

I admit that I didn't, but that does seem likely. I wonder what exactly he saw and what its significance is...

+Quote Post
Zola231
post Sep 23 2006, 05:02 AM
Post #3

Hugest HP Fan

Member No.: 5,324

Does anyone think that the green potion was mixed with avada kardava. they are both green and both killing substances.

+Quote Post
My Pensieve
post Oct 3 2006, 05:34 PM
Post #4

HP Fan

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(Zola231 @ Sep 23 2006, 05:02 AM) [snapback]112002[/snapback]

Does anyone think that the green potion was mixed with avada kardava. they are both green and both killing substances.

No way, the Avada is one of the unforgivables. It is not a potion it is a spell that is performed on a person. It's not a kind of spell you can put in an object, it is something that is used to kill a person instantly. it is not something you can contain.

In other words point wand and say Avada Kedavra and the person drops dead.

+Quote Post
Hermione@13
post Oct 3 2006, 07:55 PM
Post #5

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 3,572

Well, actually, you have to "mean it" to actually kill. Anyway, I believe that maybe the potion does have something to do with reliving memories or rather fears. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Possibly, the potion has sort of, like what Ramilda said, the dementor effect.

+Quote Post
My Pensieve
post Oct 4 2006, 05:19 PM
Post #6

HP Fan

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(Hermione@11 @ Oct 3 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]113183[/snapback]

Well, actually, you have to "mean it" to actually kill. Anyway, I believe that maybe the potion does have something to do with reliving memories or rather fears. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Possibly, the potion has sort of, like what Ramilda said, the dementor effect.

I think you missed the whole point.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post
1HPgirl
post Oct 4 2006, 05:38 PM
Post #7

Average HP Fan

Member No.: 5,435

It seems to have a dementor effect except I don't really recall anyone actually stating "I want to die, kill me now" or any other thing like that.
Yes, the Dementor's Kiss is a worse fate then death so much people would rather be killed, but it doesn't torture you as Dumbledore was tortured in the cave.
I like the theory Zola has, about it maybe being a potion of Avada Kedavra. Who really knows what Voldemort is capable of right?
But, I think that the potion may be the potion form of Cruciatus raher than Avada Kedavra, because Voldemort didn't die from the potion, he was just caused an immense amount of pain.

This is just a thought.

+Quote Post
harrypotteraddic...
post Jan 23 2007, 12:02 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 6,135

QUOTE(1HPgirl @ Oct 5 2006, 02:38 AM) [snapback]113278[/snapback]
It seems to have a dementor effect except I don't really recall anyone actually stating "I want to die, kill me now" or any other thing like that.
Yes, the Dementor's Kiss is a worse fate then death so much people would rather be killed, but it doesn't torture you as Dumbledore was tortured in the cave.
I like the theory Zola has, about it maybe being a potion of Avada Kedavra. Who really knows what Voldemort is capable of right?
But, I think that the potion may be the potion form of Cruciatus raher than Avada Kedavra, because Voldemort didn't die from the potion, he was just caused an immense amount of pain.

This is just a thought.

i agree i think the effect does resemble what we have seen dementors are capable of but still what is it that dumbeldore feared so much?

+Quote Post
Hermione@13
post Jan 23 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #9

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 3,572

I think you missed the whole point....

Hehe...sorry. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sorry.gif)

Anyway, most of the people here say that DD is most scared of his children dying and I quite agree with them. It must be causing him a great deal of physical and mental pain.

+Quote Post
potter_freak24
post Mar 5 2007, 11:32 AM
Post #10

HP Fan

Member No.: 5,641

Alright I just re-read the book again and I noticed something that I don't realy know what he means. It was when he was drinking the green potion in the cave. When he was saying "It's all my fault, all my fault. Please make it stop I know I did wrong, oh please make it stop and I'll never, never again" and then "Don't hurt them, don't hurt them, please please, it's my fault, hurt me instead" HBP us version page 572.
I'm not sure if he was in his worse memory or his worse fear. I have a felling that it will be brought up again.
What caught me was the "don't hurt them" it was the them. Is he refering to his family-we don't know really anything about them. or is he refering to the students (as a worse fear).
I'm not sure I thought at first maybe ment students because of before they left Dumbledore said -when harry says he left the school unprotected- "Do you think that I have once left the school unprotected during my absences this year? I have not." page 550 HBP us version.
So I just wonder what anyone's opion is.

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Mar 10 2007, 06:59 AM
Post #11

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 5,046

Anyway, most of the people here say that DD is most scared of his children dying and I quite agree with them. It must be causing him a great deal of physical and mental pain

Who said anything about DD's children? Who is "most people here"? I don't believe DD even has children, because I'm sure JKR would have mentioned it, really.

+Quote Post
WickedWitchOfThe...
post Mar 10 2007, 10:24 AM
Post #12

Greatest HP Fan That Ever Lived

Group: Guests
Member No.: 3

I think she was referring to "his children" being the students at the school. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Hermione@12, feel free to correct me though if I am wrong. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Mar 10 2007, 07:03 PM
Post #13

Greatest HP Fan That Ever Lived

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I totally agree with you, I think it is referring to the kids at school. JK has never even said if DD was married.

+Quote Post
Ramilda
post Mar 15 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 5,400

I am wondering if the quote may be a memory of RAB's (if RAB is R. Black). He did a flip flop between the dark and light sides... Since the locket that was in this bowl was not the horcrux locket, perhaps this potion is of his making and is a kind of poison pensieve. If he thought the next person to use it would be Voldy, Black would likely wish him to experience the same thing Voldy put him through, then have to use up a horcrux. Just a thought.

+Quote Post
Hollie
post Jul 4 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 8,111

he was remembering when he was friends with gellert grindelwald i think the 'them' he is referring to is his sister and his brother.

because his sister ariana who was ill died during a fight between albus gellert and aberforth... in which any one of the 3 could of shot the curse that ended her life.

i believe he regrets not being there for his family etc etc and this potion brings back the memories in a very realistic way

he is begging gellert not to hurt them

well what appears to be realistic.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 06:56 pm