IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

This translator is for your use, but if you use it, please realize that you must reply to messages in English. Thanks and enjoy!
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Did Dumbledore Understand Parseltongue?
cameocat
post Nov 13 2006, 01:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,540

I just re-read this book and noticed at the funeral where Harry recalls when Dumbledore spoke with the Merpeople in Mermish. Did he also understand Parseltongue, even if he couldn't speak it? In Morfin's memory, Voldemort and Morfin were conversing in Parseltongue, but Dumbledore did not ask Harry for a translation. Somehow I don't think Morfin would have been in the right state of mind to translate it for him at the time the memory was extracted.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
potter_freak24
post Nov 13 2006, 01:58 PM
Post #2

HP Fan

Member No.: 5,641

I wondered the same thing a few times. I think Dumbledore can "read" minds or understand what people are thinking when they are thinking it. In CS when Harry was in Dumbledores office Harry won't say what is bothering him but it was like Dumbledore know without saying a word.
So yes I do think that Dumbledore can understand parseltongue

+Quote Post
Zola231
post Nov 14 2006, 11:31 AM
Post #3

Hugest HP Fan

Member No.: 5,324

I used to think that Dumbledore could understand alot ofminds and maybe parselmouth.

+Quote Post
cameocat
post Nov 15 2006, 11:23 PM
Post #4

Thanks for the responses so far! Didn't Snape tell Harry that minds couldn't be read, though, when he was teaching him occlumency? That one could only sense emotions?

If Dumbledore could understand Parseltongue, wouldn't he have figured out what the monster in Chamber of Secrets was and what it was doing, early on? I think I need to re-read Chamber of Secrets and pay attention to Dumbledore's actions and words in that.

+Quote Post
1HPgirl
post Nov 17 2006, 02:38 PM
Post #5

Average HP Fan

Member No.: 5,435

Snape told Harry that "minds were not books, they could not be read. They are complex....." something or another. But remember, whenever Harry went into Snapes mind, he actually saw a flashback of Snapes teenage years at Hogwarts. And that's what Snape did to Harry. So I think that when you "read" (for lack of a better term) someones mind you actually visualize there thoughts. Does that make sense?

+Quote Post
Hermione@13
post Nov 17 2006, 07:53 PM
Post #6

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 3,572

Basically, you sense their emotions through their memories in a way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif) Anyway, back on topic, you just made everything more confusing! Not that that's a bad thing. We could do with a bit of a challenge. Anyway, I was thinking about it and it seems possibleand I always thought that the main reason DD brought Harry with him to view the memory was for a "lesson" in their "classes". Doesn't the teacher have to know the lesson before the student?

+Quote Post
cameocat
post Nov 18 2006, 12:36 AM
Post #7

But when Harry saw Snape as a teenager, he was viewing a saved memory, not reaching into Snape's mind. Those are two different things. When viewing these memories, it is clear that they can see and hear exactly what happened, like a video/audio recording. Emotions and thoughts can't be read or sensed from them, but they can be interpreted based on observations.

+Quote Post
My Pensieve
post Nov 18 2006, 09:02 AM
Post #8

HP Fan

Member No.: 7

You both make valid points, but it always seemed, at least to me, that Dumbledore always knew what Harry was up to. He seemed to be able to tell what Harry was going to do, *and* conveniently let him step into danger to only come to his rescue when things got out of hand. Like in OOTP. But as readers we all have our perceptions of what secrets JK is trying to tell us. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Zola231
post Nov 25 2006, 10:40 AM
Post #9

Hugest HP Fan

Member No.: 5,324

In OOP when Dumbledore was in his office joined by Umbridge, Fudge, Kingsly, Harry, Dawlish, Marriata and Mcgonagall. Remember what Dumbledore had said that he was highly clever at legimans.

+Quote Post
Hermione@13
post Nov 25 2006, 06:44 PM
Post #10

Huge HP Fan

And your point is... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) . I guess, trying to get your point here, if DD did use Legilimens it's possible that instead of trying to understand Parseltongue he could've just read their minds or, for better explaination, looked into their minds.

+Quote Post
harrypotteraddic...
post Jan 6 2007, 10:23 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 6,135

hey i was readign your discussion and was interested by it
well the part about DD understanding parseltongue i am leaning to the fact that he simply looked into their minds becasue that woudl explain why he couldnt capture the basilik but i was thinking even for those who dont understand parseltongue wont they ehar a hissing sound?
and if so wouldnt that mena that dumbeldore knew what was in the chamber but somehow purposely let harry got through all that danger?

Please spell out ALL your words! Thanks... And try to write the letters in the words where they should be, it's really hard to read your posts!

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Jan 6 2007, 04:12 PM
Post #12

Greatest HP Fan That Ever Lived

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

harrypotteraddict, you have been asked multiple times to please spell out your words. I have asked you and the mods have asked you. If you show such little regard to the rules why not just leave the boards and go some place else where people could care less how your posts look.

Mods, feel free to boost my warning for being so openly rude, but this member does not respect these boards.

+Quote Post
Hermione@13
post Jan 6 2007, 07:53 PM
Post #13

Huge HP Fan

Yeah, it's so hard to read those kinds of posts! It just twists my brain in a bad way! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/comp26.gif)

Anyway, I think that DD has made Harry go somewhere dangerous on purpose multiple times and it may be possible that DD just wants Harry to see the memory, so it's like a hands-on experience.

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Jan 7 2007, 02:38 AM
Post #14

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 5,046

Back on the Parseltounge topic, I wonder if it's possible to learn it. I doubt you could learn to speak it, but perhaps like any language you could learn to understand it. It's possible that DD learnt bits and peices of it, enough to understand what was going on.

+Quote Post
one_too_many_bro...
post Jan 11 2007, 06:37 PM
Post #15

Average HP Fan

Member No.: 5,880

nup it is hisses and rasps undistinguishable but i would say somehow he understood but then that doesnt work for COS

This post has been edited by one_too_many_broken_hearts: Jan 11 2007, 06:38 PM

+Quote Post
Hermione@13
post Jan 11 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #16

Huge HP Fan

It does seem like DD to know a lot of languges and he may have learned Parseltongue on one of his long road trips, but I can't think of where he would learn it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

+Quote Post
Dijares
post Jan 18 2007, 10:47 AM
Post #17

Administrator

Member No.: 1

I don't think parseltongue is a language you learn. I think it's something instinctive. No one taught Harry how to speak parseltongue - he just knew it.

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Jan 19 2007, 04:13 AM
Post #18

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 5,046

I understand what you mean Djares and I don't believe you could learn to speak it. I only wonder, if you studied it hard enough, could you learn to understand it? Just simple words, enough to know the gist of things. From what I gather, it is a set language, certain (for lack of a better word) "hisses" would correspond to certain English words. I think, if you could hear it enough, it might be possible.

However in saying that, you couldn't hear it enough. I mean Harry and Voldemort are two of very few who could speak parseltongue. It would never have been written down.

So no, I don't believe Dumbledore could speak it nor understand it. Only that theoretically it could be possible to learn.

So now in saying that, Harry understood what was happening in the pensive because he could understand the language. Does this mean Dumbledore used Legilimes? I wonder though, can you use Legilimes on a memory?

Hmm....Only bits of the conversation were in parseltongue though. Maybe Dumbledore never understood them.

This post has been edited by the_prisoner_of_azkaban: Jan 19 2007, 04:15 AM

+Quote Post
Dijares
post Apr 3 2007, 12:10 PM
Post #19

Administrator

Member No.: 1

I don't know about that. It seemed that Harry understood the parseltongue, but he didn't even realize that it was parseltongue until DD pointed it out to him. So, it's like, to him, it's there, but he doesn't know the difference between english or parseltongue.

+Quote Post
potter_freak24
post Apr 3 2007, 04:12 PM
Post #20

HP Fan

Member No.: 5,641

QUOTE(one_too_many_broken_hearts @ Jan 11 2007, 07:37 PM) [snapback]121201[/snapback]
nup it is hisses and rasps undistinguishable but i would say somehow he understood but then that doesnt work for COS

ok this is what i think. he understood parselmouth in the memory because he could hear (read, see, whatever you want to call it) their thoughts when the said it. like a telapath that can speak without speaking, kind of thing.
and about the COS, he was never in the room with it. and no one else heard the hissing. It is possiable that he can only sence what humans or human like beings are saying. But remember DD might have known what was in the Chamber but he didn't know were the chamber was at.
Well that is just my opion.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 12:36 am