IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

This translator is for your use, but if you use it, please realize that you must reply to messages in English. Thanks and enjoy!
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Discuss the 1st movie - Eragon, Discuss the 1st movie in the Inheritance trilogy
Dijares
post Dec 26 2006, 10:39 AM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Here you can discuss the 1st movie in the Inheritance trilogy - Eragon.

I really feel sorry for Chris Paolini. The screenwriters, the directors, the producers - the entire crew (though not the actors, nor the FX dept) did a total injustice to his book and series. The movie did not follow the book whatsoever. Very sad, indeed.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mathias_thechose...
post Dec 26 2006, 11:04 AM
Post #2

Average HP Fan

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,063

Thank You Dij! I was waiting for someone to post this, I saw it the day after it was realeased in the U.S., and I almost walked out of the show! It was a total disappointment, they added things that didn't need to be added, and they cut out KEY scenes, that never should have been cut, like the twins? and Murtaugh getting captured at the end, or running off like he does in the book, I was appalled by the story, and hope whoever does the next one, gives Chris atleast a bit of a say in what goes on, Oh and the guy that played Eragon seemed too old for the part! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dragon.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/gandalf.gif)

+Quote Post
murtagh_sbk
post Dec 26 2006, 03:09 PM
Post #3

Newbie HP Fan

Member No.: 6,114

murtagh gets caught at the beggining of eldest not the end of eragon though

+Quote Post
murtagh_sbk
post Dec 26 2006, 03:10 PM
Post #4

Newbie HP Fan

but they skipped tierm which theyre going to have to show in the next book anyway right and the moved angela from tierm

+Quote Post
Mathias_thechose...
post Dec 27 2006, 09:52 AM
Post #5

Average HP Fan

O yeah that's right, so he did, yeah, I also, thought angela should have had a greater part, she is one of the major characters, and in my opinion, I thought Ajihad was too dark for the role, when they said he was darker in the book, I thought Chris meant like...arabic, or like just tan, like umm....O! like the men of the east and the south, in the LOTR (Lord of the Rings) their dark, but not too dark, I don't know...haha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dragon.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/gandalf.gif)

+Quote Post
cruticus
post Dec 27 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #6

Hugest HP Fan

Member No.: 13

For me as a movie, it was terrible. I have never read the books and I wont, but the movie seemed to me that there were set pieces from LOTR...like, what!!??

+Quote Post
riddlemethis326
post Dec 27 2006, 11:20 PM
Post #7

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 4,784

I liked the actors... especially Garret Hedlund who played Murtagh... but the script was TERRILBE! They rushed the whole thing so much.

#1. Saphira grew up in like three seconds and through the whole movie you never got the feel of hers and Eragon's relationship so it seemed unreal

#2. They skipped two key cities: Teirm with Jeod (sp?) and finding the records of the Seith-something oil that leads them to Dras Leona (the best citiy where I happen to think Morzan met Selena... *cough*) and their encounter with the Ra'zac. What was with hanging them on a tree? I mean...really. And the slave auctions when Eragon and Saphira really decide to join with the Varden.

#3. The very best character with the most depth was horribly represented. Murtagh... he had maybe ten lines in the whole movie... he deserved well over 1000! (just kidding, just kidding... don't mind the hyperbole) It showed none of his real character. What was with him wanting to show Eragon to the Varden... and how did he know anyway? Plus he didn't tell ANY of his mother's and father's story. That made me VERY upset, because that is a key part especially for the next movie, if they make one which I kinda hope they don't unless they get a new director or screenwriter or something (and don't mind the run on sentances here.) He was too happy all the time. I like him being happy and joking around, but he's happy TOO much and you never see his dark side which he shows a lot in the book. The only dark part of him was when he gets all cry-cry sad at the Varden and he shows everybody his scar. He SHOWS it... that is NOT like him at all...

I've said my say... though I did like the animation of Saphira and I thought Brom was all right... except for how he died.

+Quote Post
Dijares
post Dec 28 2006, 08:45 AM
Post #8

Administrator

QUOTE(riddlemethis326 @ Dec 27 2006, 11:20 PM) [snapback]119881[/snapback]
I liked the actors... especially Garret Hedlund who played Murtagh... but the script was TERRILBE! They rushed the whole thing so much.

#1. Saphira grew up in like three seconds and through the whole movie you never got the feel of hers and Eragon's relationship so it seemed unreal

#2. They skipped two key cities: Teirm with Jeod (sp?) and finding the records of the Seith-something oil that leads them to Dras Leona (the best citiy where I happen to think Morzan met Selena... *cough*) and their encounter with the Ra'zac. What was with hanging them on a tree? I mean...really. And the slave auctions when Eragon and Saphira really decide to join with the Varden.

#3. The very best character with the most depth was horribly represented. Murtagh... he had maybe ten lines in the whole movie... he deserved well over 1000! (just kidding, just kidding... don't mind the hyperbole) It showed none of his real character. What was with him wanting to show Eragon to the Varden... and how did he know anyway? Plus he didn't tell ANY of his mother's and father's story. That made me VERY upset, because that is a key part especially for the next movie, if they make one which I kinda hope they don't unless they get a new director or screenwriter or something (and don't mind the run on sentances here.) He was too happy all the time. I like him being happy and joking around, but he's happy TOO much and you never see his dark side which he shows a lot in the book. The only dark part of him was when he gets all cry-cry sad at the Varden and he shows everybody his scar. He SHOWS it... that is NOT like him at all...

I've said my say... though I did like the animation of Saphira and I thought Brom was all right... except for how he died.

I think there is going to be a lot of making up to do if they make a 2nd movie. I mean, where are the twins? They play a key role (although you don't see them a lot - they have a lot to do with what happens).

Regarding how he died, I mean, no where does the movie show how Brom got there, and it's not even how it happened in the book. Such HUGE holes!

+Quote Post
Mathias_thechose...
post Dec 28 2006, 11:32 AM
Post #9

Average HP Fan

That death wanted to make me cry, because the LACK of relevance, in accordance, to the book?!
It was a total wasted scene, in which, in the book, is one of most wonderful scenes.

I don't agree that, Murtaugh was great in the movie, despite what you said about the dark, and too much good side, RMT. the Murtaugh in the movie, lacked definiton, but manily, he wasn't anything like the murtaugh in the book, he wasn't like I imagined him, to be like, I mean. Also, the Eragon, in the movie, was a mixed actor, wasn't good at times, but, was great at other times. Plus he should have dark hair!

Oh and what if, it wasn't Garrow that had the royal/noble blood, what if it was his wife, we so rarely, hear about, hmm?

It's just like in this one series Charlie Bone, Charlie's Father's, blood, was magical but, his mother, who is rarely, talked about, or in my opinion, not a very recognized character, also, had magical blood, which she seems like the "Muggle," of series (just like Roran's mother very little known about, but, still isn't fully out of the question?)

That's just what I come to, when I think about possibilities... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/gandalf.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dragon.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

+Quote Post
riddlemethis326
post Dec 28 2006, 11:59 AM
Post #10

Huge HP Fan

I don't agree that, Murtaugh was great in the movie, despite what you said about the dark, and too much good side, RMT. the Murtaugh in the movie, lacked definiton, but manily, he wasn't anything like the murtaugh in the book, he wasn't like I imagined him, to be like.

What I meant was that the actor had the potential to be great and would have been if the script hadn't have been so bad. I really disliked the way they portrayed him in the movie because he did lack everything I thought of as Murtagh. I was saying that I really thought they could have done a better job on him. They spent absolutly no time on him at all. In the movie, you hardly even know who he is. In fact, the movie doesn't show him at all.

+Quote Post
Dijares
post Dec 29 2006, 12:00 PM
Post #11

Administrator

QUOTE(riddlemethis326 @ Dec 28 2006, 11:59 AM) [snapback]119930[/snapback]
What I meant was that the actor had the potential to be great and would have been if the script hadn't have been so bad. I really disliked the way they portrayed him in the movie because he did lack everything I thought of as Murtagh. I was saying that I really thought they could have done a better job on him. They spent absolutly no time on him at all. In the movie, you hardly even know who he is. In fact, the movie doesn't show him at all.

I have to agree. They really didn't show enough on the main characters. And Murtagh is definitely a main character. They spent too much time showing Arya in dreams, when he didn't really dream about her quite so much. And the flying scenes - the book wasn't like that at all.

It just seems to me that the screenwriters/director/producers took the parts that they thought would be cool and used those and beefed them up some... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

+Quote Post
riddlemethis326
post Dec 29 2006, 01:10 PM
Post #12

Huge HP Fan

It was more a movie to show off special affects than the story line. Poor Paolini... they used his books as an excuse to make a "cool" movie. They did no justice! I demand a redo!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Mathias_thechose...
post Dec 29 2006, 05:12 PM
Post #13

Average HP Fan

What I meant was that the actor had the potential to be great and would have been if the script hadn't have been so bad. I really disliked the way they portrayed him in the movie because he did lack everything I thought of as Murtagh. I was saying that I really thought they could have done a better job on him. They spent absolutly no time on him at all. In the movie, you hardly even know who he is. In fact, the movie doesn't show him at all

My mistake, I must of understood you? Yeah, I'd have to agree with that though.

And Indeed, perhaps, a redo is in order! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dragon.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/gandalf.gif)

+Quote Post
riddlemethis326
post Dec 29 2006, 08:18 PM
Post #14

Huge HP Fan

Lol... I was kind of joking. It would be nice, but they'll never do it...

+Quote Post
murtagh_sbk
post Dec 29 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #15

Newbie HP Fan

Paolinin isnt going to let them make another movie he said he was going to decide if to make an Eldest movie by the quality of Eragon.

+Quote Post
one_too_many_bro...
post Dec 29 2006, 10:54 PM
Post #16

Average HP Fan

Member No.: 5,880

but if you go on the movie website they have the twins and katrina cast and you dont see them in the first movie they have made quite a lot of money from eragon odds are they will make eldest and the end of it becons for a second

+Quote Post
chapovalverde
post Dec 30 2006, 06:11 AM
Post #17

Big HP Fan

Member No.: 1,115

Hi everyone!

It's been a long while since I posted something in the boards, so I hope that my fragile english hadn't gone worse than it was recently (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I read the books for the first time last month, because I've never been really attracted by them; but I thought it would be much better to read them before watching the film, and I had the intention of watching it.

First, I was gladly surprised by the story, with resulted much more mature than I expected and, although the characters personality and interior description don't reach the level of Harry Potter's ones, they are all very cool and appealing to the reader. And after a well balanced story, with two books long enough to explain not only the trip Eragon has to make in the first book and his later training in the second, but also how he feels about girls, his friend Saphira and all his tutors (with the added point of some politics and court intrigues with the Vardens and in Surda); what we found in the film?

Well, first of all I'd like to say that I was disappointed with the film, not because the film itself was so bad, but the thing was that it didn't made any justice to the book. What I didn't understand was why it was so short. Cinema days have changed, and now a two-hour film is the most common thing in the world. So why they didn't add 30 more minutes in which they could have shown more of Eragon's training with Brom (I was waiting for the part where they protect their swords to harm each other), what magic really involves, or introducing Murtagh in the way he deserved for his importance in the books. For those of us who have read both books we know how relevant he is, how Eragon begins to trust him and how he feels in the end when they meet again. From the film you could only tell that Eragon is a boy that trusts anyone that helps him (with a permanent smile on his face...) and inmediatly becomes his friend.

I think that anyone made a comment about this but, (and sorry fo the manners), WHERE THE heck WERE THE DWARVES????
I mean, all the twins thing was cut and although it's very important if they make some turn in the future they can fix it someway. But I couldn't believe they didn't even mentioned the dwarfs, when the Vardens are guests of their milenary city of Tronjheim!!! And what happens with Orik in Eldest? Honestly, that was a big, big mistake. And this crystal thing Saphira breaks could have been simply impressive in the big screen.

All in all, they've ruined a very good story by making things the easy way. Apart from the good job done with Saphira, I think that Durza was the only that was really close to what I expected from the book.
Even his smoke dragon was cool.

This post has been edited by chapovalverde: Jan 1 2007, 07:36 AM

+Quote Post
Dijares
post Dec 30 2006, 08:09 AM
Post #18

Administrator

Hey chapovalverde!

Long time, no see! I must say that you explained yourself very well and said many of the things that all of us felt. The dwarves were in the film - they had the dwarves take Murtagh away in Farthen Dur in the Beor mountains. I was very dissapointed that they didn't show Erya as an actual Elf. Especially as how Eragon's looks change in the 2nd book.

I honestly think that they (the producers/director) were trying to stay away from something that looked like LOTR at all costs - even to the actual story. The background and many the characters are very like LOTR, but the story itself is not. Very sad, indeed.

+Quote Post
murtagh_sbk
post Dec 30 2006, 08:37 AM
Post #19

Newbie HP Fan

All in all a bad movie if youve read the book good movie if you havent

+Quote Post
Mathias_thechose...
post Dec 30 2006, 11:14 AM
Post #20

Average HP Fan

I found it totally saddening, that, I couldn't tell the dwarves, from the actual men? Did anyone else have that problem?

And what was with the guy, that is like, Ajihad's helper? Does he not scream "Moses/Noah from Noahs Ark?"

Yah, I also noticed, the Arya not looking like an elf, thing considering, it's so important, in the second book, with Eragon, tranforming....She didnt even have pointed ears? She also smiles too much, the elvian race is a stern race, they rarely smile, or laugh, they mostly just look like, their thinking about somethign all the time, and can't really figure out the answer, like a deep thought/confused pondering?

One of the things that really got me going though, was the urgals didnt have horns?! they didnt remotely look like monster, though I think it's like you said Dij, they were probably afraid of making the characters, look LOTRish, trying to over compincate, for the role they had in jacking LOTR scenery, and sets, haha (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dragon.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/gandalf.gif)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 10:40 am