IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

This translator is for your use, but if you use it, please realize that you must reply to messages in English. Thanks and enjoy!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Regulus Black, Why bother mention him at all?
I love Lupin
post Mar 4 2007, 10:13 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,206

This is a topic where I hope to get some replies. Why in the Wizarding World bother to mention Regulus Black? I think he must have been put in the story for a reason which follows up many people's theories on who R.A.B. is. So please send in your theories on why Regulus Black is put into the story.

PLEASE NOTE: This thread is for information about Regulus Black and your suspicions on why he is important. This is not a thread on who R.A.B. is. Thankyou

This post has been edited by I love Lupin: Mar 6 2007, 02:04 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WickedWitchOfThe...
post Mar 4 2007, 10:29 AM
Post #2

Greatest HP Fan That Ever Lived

Group: Guests
Member No.: 3

I believe he was put in for the whole RAB thing, but there are other wizards who have been mentioned who have had no importance to the story, and yet we have met them and know their name. So I say it is still possible for RAB to be somebody besides Regulus, though personally I believe it to be Regulus.

Side note: We already have a topic concerning RAB, so if this turns into a thread where the possiblity of RAB being Regulus is argued about, I'll close it down. But, if this thread does what it says and sticks to theories as to why Regulus is mentioned I'll keep it open. Have fun theorizing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
msricenbeans
post Mar 5 2007, 02:39 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,201

i have very non-commital feelings about who R.A.B. is, but i must say two things. 1) i agree that there is probably a good reason (literary or plot-driven) that sirius's brother was ever made known, and 2) we know that JKR likes to give fullness (background, description) to any character, major or minor (we know she likes to describe in relative length what the characters eat for breakfast....) it could be that regulus was mentioned as further proof of the black family history of darkness OR to introduce in passing another important person in the HP story. i recommend you check out the links you find if you seek out regulus and sirius in astronomical and/or astrological settings. i personally think that there is a plot-driven reason we know of regulus at all, but she is a master of surprise...still, i recommend (if you're bored) checking out the aforementioned star lore...

+Quote Post
potter_freak24
post Mar 5 2007, 11:10 AM
Post #4

HP Fan

Member No.: 5,641

I believe that Regulus is important to the story. I just have that feeling. And I believe that Regulus isn't dead. I believe that someone (Dumbledore maybe) help Regulus fake his death. what made me think of this is something that Dumbledore said to Draco, about being about to help him & keep him safe. I took that as faking his death, but that is just my opion.
But I think that it is a possiblity that Regulus is still alive. Rowling seems to always have hidden thing in the book, but she always leaves clues. I don't think she would have mentioned Regulus if there wasn't a purpose, but like I said that is just my opion.

+Quote Post
riddlemethis326
post Mar 6 2007, 08:37 PM
Post #5

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 4,784

Just mentioning him would have been one thing, but JK had Sirius go into some detail about his brother. I doubt it could be just some random tidbit to the story. JK has shown us that all the little things count; nothing is unimportant. Besides, there's nothing saying that Regulus isn't R.A.B., is there...

+Quote Post
crmhpfan
post Apr 1 2007, 11:26 PM
Post #6

Huge HP Fan

Group: News Posters
Member No.: 4,800

I believe he was put in for the whole RAB thing
I agree WWW! And doesn't Sirius say that Regulus was a Death Eater, but then he turned away from Voldemort? And also, if regulus was a Death Eater, he would know more about Voldemort thatn the average person, and maybe he found out about the hocruxes?

But I think that it is a possiblity that Regulus is still alive.

I never thought about that, but it seems like a possible theory.

This post has been edited by crmhpfan: Apr 1 2007, 11:27 PM

+Quote Post
WickedWitchOfThe...
post Apr 2 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #7

Greatest HP Fan That Ever Lived

Group: Guests
Member No.: 3

And doesn't Sirius say that Regulus was a Death Eater, but then he turned away from Voldemort?
Yeah, it does. More precisely, that he tried to back away from him but couldn't.

if regulus was a Death Eater, he would know more about Voldemort thatn the average person, and maybe he found out about the hocruxes?

Well, the true question is, how close to V was Regulus? I tend to believe that V didn't announce what he was doing. So how would Regulus find out? Did he do some sneaking around on his own before he was killed? He must have if he is R.A.B. and stole the Horcrux. But if he isn't R.A.B., then who else could've found out about the Horcruxes with those initials?

I do still believe that R.A.B. is Regulus. But if it isn't, what would be the point of mentioning him in the detail that Sirius did in OOTP? Was it just to let us know Sirius had a brother and that he was a DE? Is that all? I hope not!

+Quote Post
crmhpfan
post Apr 2 2007, 10:44 PM
Post #8

Huge HP Fan

QUOTE(WickedWitchOfTheWest @ Apr 3 2007, 08:19 AM) [snapback]124374[/snapback]
Did he do some sneaking around on his own before he was killed? He must have if he is R.A.B. and stole the Horcrux.

I believe that he did do some sneaking around, and like Dumbledore, he retrieved memories from everyone and anyone he could.

This post has been edited by crmhpfan: Apr 2 2007, 10:45 PM

+Quote Post
Witherwings
post Apr 15 2007, 07:41 PM
Post #9

Big HP Fan

Member No.: 2,166

QUOTE(WickedWitchOfTheWest @ Apr 2 2007, 06:49 PM) [snapback]124374[/snapback]
Yeah, it does. More precisely, that he tried to back away from him but couldn't.
Well, the true question is, how close to V was Regulus? I tend to believe that V didn't announce what he was doing. So how would Regulus find out? Did he do some sneaking around on his own before he was killed?

Could Regulus not be dead at all, but rather in hiding. DD makes the point of saying that the Order can hide former DEs so that everyone thinks they're dead. He offers this as an option for Malfoy and his family. It could be that he was hidden - even Sirius wouldn't have known to make the "death" more believable.

This post has been edited by Witherwings: Apr 15 2007, 07:43 PM

+Quote Post
crmhpfan
post Apr 16 2007, 01:31 AM
Post #10

Huge HP Fan

QUOTE(Witherwings @ Apr 16 2007, 11:11 AM) [snapback]125198[/snapback]
Could Regulus not be dead at all, but rather in hiding. DD makes the point of saying that the Order can hide former DEs so that everyone thinks they're dead. He offers this as an option for Malfoy and his family. It could be that he was hidden - even Sirius wouldn't have known to make the "death" more believable.

That's a good theory, but doesn't it say on the note in the locket, "I know I will be dead long before you read this". I think that Dumbledore may not even have known that Regulus knew about the hocruxes, and therefore not been able to offer protection.

This post has been edited by crmhpfan: Apr 16 2007, 01:32 AM

+Quote Post
potter_freak24
post Apr 16 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #11

HP Fan

Member No.: 5,641

I know I said earlier that Regulus might be alive but I'm changing my mind. Someone pointed out that Kreacher would have passed to Regulus instead of Harry. I think that Kreacher in locate the family members with some kind of ancient spell that is part of being a house elf.
Also if DD was hiding Regulus, then DD would not have gone to get the locket. Because Regulus already had it (That is of course if he is RAB).
So I do believe he is dead. But he has to have something to do with the last book because we did find out alot about him, to just be an unimportant character.

+Quote Post
Witherwings
post Apr 16 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #12

Big HP Fan

Member No.: 2,166

QUOTE(potter_freak24 @ Apr 16 2007, 12:46 PM) [snapback]125233[/snapback]
Also if DD was hiding Regulus, then DD would not have gone to get the locket. Because Regulus already had it (That is of course if he is RAB).

Someone pointed out that Kreacher would have passed to Regulus instead of Harry.

If Regulus knew, of course, that DD needed the locket. I also think Rowling's given an affirmative that RAB is Black (it was in the interview posted in the theory section - she didn't say directly, but her language [I forget the exact language right now] indicated it was). Of course, I think he's mentioned in the fifth book because he did betray Voldemort (as Sirius implies) though Sirius doesn't know the extent to which this is done - I think the betrayal is in destroying horcruxes.

BTW, why is Sirius' mother so angry when her son went to prision for killing muggles and another wizard? If she died before Sirius got out, it doesn't make sense that she was angry with him for the murder if she believed Voldemort's thinking (as Sirius tells us), even if she, herself, wouldn't go that far.

As for Kreacher, if DD is as powerful as we think he is, and if he indicated to Malfoy that Voldemort and the DE would believe he and his parents were truly dead, he might be powerful enough to pretend to kill Regulus. Perhaps Regulus has been using the Draught of Living Death to stay in hiding - perhaps the Draught of Living Death hides the living and makes them register as dead. If so, then everyone, including Kreacher, might believe Regulus was fully dead and couldn't find any trace of him. Just a thought.

+Quote Post
WitBeyondMeasure
post Jan 4 2009, 12:03 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 7,918

i agree with crmhp fan - I do not think Dumbledore knew that Regulus knew about the horcruxes, as he did not start searching for them till later.

I am confident that he IS RAB, Kreacher proves this by telling his own, unbiased, version of the story of how Regulus was frantic about the locket and asked Kreacher to destroy it by any means possible. I think this means he knew his life was ending and did not have enough time to figure it out on his own, confirming that he is dead by the time they find the decoy locket.

He is mentioned to show that someone else DID discover Voldemort's secret, and also to show the fate of this person - he discovered 1 horcrux but then was killed, hinting to us the danger and improbabilty of this task being done, atleast by 1 person alone. Also, perhaps JK Rowling wanted us to know that RAB - Regulus, was turned good in the end and not evil. I think she, like Dumbledore, wants the characters who do good and fight for the right side, even if not till the very end, to have recognition. She would not have wanted the series to end with us thinking that Sirius Black's brother was just another Death Eater like his relatives and the Black family.

+Quote Post
whitewolf
post Mar 7 2009, 12:22 AM
Post #14

HP Fan

Member No.: 7,971

Sirius was the first to mention his brother when he was showing Harry the family tree. He, as I'm sure the others, believed the official story that Regulus was a DE and then "lost his nerve" and was killed by Voldomort. RAB was Regulus because he had the orignal locket. The only way this would have occurred is if he went to the hiding place and got it. It makes sense because in order for someone to know about horcruxes other than DD, they would have to be someone into dark arts, which Sirius mentioned his family was a house of dark wizards. Regulus would have known what he was looking looking at when he saw the horcrux. And remember he came accross it by accident. DD was right that love saves, Regulus loved Kreacher. His realizing that Kreacher had almost died made him feel like something was wrong in the universe. Of course there is the theory that he saw a chance to make a power play aganist Voldomort, however, once he saw what he was up aganist, he realized he was screwed and rather than let Voldomort kill him, he struck a deadly blow at him and died on his own terms. Very Black of him!! Why mention him, because he showed the complex relationship that house elves and wizards have. In Kreacher's relationship with the wizard's we see the lack of knowledge that they whole to the most vunerable in their own world. Have you notice that house elves can do everything that wizards can do without wand!!! I think JKR did this own purpose. To show that the most powerful can become blind to a vital part of thier own exist. Regulus shows how vunerable the family is because he was the last member of a line that sacrificed it's children to evil. Regulus also showed to strength of the wizards because his affection for Kreacher made him sacrifice himself for him and his family. He may have been a plot device, but he was a good one. PS : He also showed that Sirius was who he was by choice and not by design.

+Quote Post
Hollie
post Jul 5 2009, 03:15 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 8,111

I think Regulus figured it out...

Before he joined the death eaters he had loads of newspaper articles- research

my guess is he sent kreacher to do the job for the dark lord, realised voldey was making horcrux' and decided voldemort was too powerful and need t obe destroyed... so he asked kreacher to take him back to the cave... where he swapped the horcrux ordered kreacher to go home and not tell sirius or his mum

then regulus was dragged into the lake because he loved kreacher to much too make him drink that potion again.

in conclusion regulus plays quite a significant part compared to some other wizards

+Quote Post
BathildaBagshot
post Aug 17 2009, 03:06 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 8,206

Does it ever mention why he turned against Voldemort?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 06:35 pm