IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

This translator is for your use, but if you use it, please realize that you must reply to messages in English. Thanks and enjoy!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Longevity in the wizarding world, The Black family tree - Pureblood mortality vs half-blood power
Perseus_Evans
post Jul 7 2007, 01:21 AM
Post #1

Big HP Fan

Group: Members
Member No.: 704

Here's an interesting thing that may or may not have been discussed...

What is the significance of the apparent short lifespans of the Black family?

They are mostly purebloods... In fact even Sirius's parents appear to be first cousins... EWWWWWW!!!!! Yet they all seem to die, on average, at a younger age than most muggles. Why?

Do you suppose that there is a point here? The point being that somehow muggles are a necessary part of wizarding breeding stock, so to speak, in order to bring about the longevity of someone like Dumbledore, for instance. This raises the question of whether Dumbledore is pureblood or not (my guess is Half-blood). He lived to "about 150" yet most of the Black family dies around 60.

Also, it's interesting that often the wizards showing the most power or talent are the muggle-borns (Hermione and Lily), but particularly the half-bloods (Harry, Voldy, Snape, Tonks) show extreme ability.

I'm thinking that the short lifespans of the purebloods, along with the "monkeyish" appearance of the Slytherin clan are designed to teach a lesson. And maybe this lesson is intended as a social allegory.... Perhaps the lateness of the hour has added a depth to my perception (pun intended) that JKR didn't intend, but I'm thinking she's right on...

The survival of this species depends on our ability to integrate the best of humanity. In the story, this is just wizards and muggles.... In the real world, I think the socio-political ramifications are much larger. She means to teach that purity and intolerance will lead to stagnation and hate, but that the true power comes from a willingness to combine forces and see the value in all. The lesson: Love all races, religions and sectors of humanity to gain the most true level of understanding.

Perhaps this has been obvious to some of you all along, but for me it really has come together as her fundamental point (even in the somewhat annoying SPEW plotline...), now that I've read through the series a number of times.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nossist
post Jul 8 2007, 04:46 AM
Post #2

HP Fan

Member No.: 6,102

Okay, I know you are trying to make a point but for the time being I wont allow this sort of talk about other religions, because whether you know it or not, it may affect other of that religion. (Cruticus)

But yeah you have a good point.

where did you find out that Sirius' parents were cousins, or are you just assuming that?

This post has been edited by cruticus: Jul 8 2007, 06:59 AM

+Quote Post
Perseus_Evans
post Jul 9 2007, 11:49 PM
Post #3

Big HP Fan

Member No.: 704

Leave it to me to start a controversial subject...

The cousins thing was based on the Black family tree recreated from JKR's notes, but upon further review, they were second cousins (if I remember my cousin rules right).

In any case, I think the point is not that any one group of muggles is being singled out as good or bad. On the contrary, I think her whole point is simply that to make assumptions or divisions in society is what leads to stagnation and the best of all worlds is attainable through acceptance and empathy. And as controversial as it may be, I truly believe that all societies and religions are based upon this precept and only through the use of fear is there ever a corruption of the basic moral virtue.

One could apply that statement to everyone...

Fear of death and the dark are simply the fear of the unknown. And fear of the unknown is the root of all hate. Love wins in the end, and JKR has beautifully weaved the theme into her work, what will be hailed as the greatest literary achievement of our time, in spite of its fantastic financial success...

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Jul 10 2007, 06:02 AM
Post #4

Greatest HP Fan That Ever Lived

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I totally agree Perseus, and it's going to be fun to see how JK weaves love into the last book.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 07:41 am