IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

This translator is for your use, but if you use it, please realize that you must reply to messages in English. Thanks and enjoy!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Notice any differences in multiple readings
Arsi
post Aug 11 2007, 05:28 PM
Post #1

Huge HP Fan

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

I just finished Deathly Hallows for the 2nd time, and I am SO GLAD that I did not peek at the end to see who would live and die. My father and brother both peeked to see the end.

Reading the book for the 2nd time I did not enjoy it near as much since I knew what would happen. It was still a pleasure to read.

I raged at Rita Skeeter at the beginning, not knowing that she had some facts behind her story.

Turning the name Voldemort into a way of picking out people saying the name was ingenius.

Seeing how quickly Voldemort took over, made me think that if he had not ben vanquished when first trying to kill Harry, he would have won ages ago.

I sort of have an empty feeling that I know there are no more books, I can go back, but knowing the final outcome makes it somewhat less. I have not followed another series so closely and waited so eagerly for the next installment. Now that it is over, I feel somewhat empty. Though I am glad that Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny did not die, as well as some of the others. There were some MAJOR deaths, but I felt I could live with them.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nossist
post Aug 12 2007, 01:46 AM
Post #2

HP Fan

Member No.: 6,102

yeah thats how I felt after every HP book...I plan to read it again but its not the same is it? seeing as I already know who dies and what happens.
hahaha sometimes I wish I forgot what happens in book 7 so that I can read it with the same excitement as I read it the first time.

+Quote Post
crmhpfan
post Aug 12 2007, 02:14 AM
Post #3

Huge HP Fan

Group: News Posters
Member No.: 4,800

What I find really hard is that I'm re-reading it at the moment, and every time I come across Fred, or Lupin, or Tonks, I kind of think: "Oh, they're dead". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Aug 12 2007, 09:36 AM
Post #4

Greatest HP Fan That Ever Lived

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I never lose the thrill of going back and rereading. Even though I know the ending I still can totally get into the books, and still feel the same thrill as if reading for the first time.

I have to say that it probably will take me a long time before I can reread DH since it affected me so much.

I will miss waiting for the next book. Jo left me with a hole in my heart, but I love her for giving me such enjoyment over these years, and a lot of very good friends.

+Quote Post
Hermy
post Aug 13 2007, 08:21 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,792

Yeah, I think we all experienced that empty feeling, but I have to say that I have started to really anticipate going back to Book 1 and starting the series over again, now that I know how it ends. I'm very excited to pick up all of those "clues" that I'm sure I missed the first time around because I didn't know what I was looking for, and to view Snape's behavior throughout knowing his true allegiance, etc. etc. etc. However, I am trying very hard to make myself wait to begin again with Book 1, because I LOVE reading HP in the fall...I've reread the series every year around Halloween for the past few years, and it's such the perfect atmosphere to get into the magical world!

+Quote Post
hogwartsdentist
post Aug 14 2007, 10:07 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 6,964

I was so excited when i was reading DH that I was reading fast the first time through. The second time I tried to go a little be slower and catch some things I missed. The crazy thing is, the first time I read it I thought it was sad that Dobby dies, George's ear, Hedwig dying, Tonks, Lupin etc etc.....................But ultimately I just kept on reading letting the death toll rise without any afterthought. The 2nd time through I cried when people were dying or getting their ear's cut off. This was very inappropriate since I was reading these books while at work. I don't know if it really sunk in that they died the 1st time through or I thought the book was going to be different on the next read but it took 2 times for me to really, really get it. I'm still so very sad.

Many people that I have talked to who have finishe DH say that they got depressed after finishing. They loved the books but were just so sad it was over. I felt this way myself but was kinda ashamed to admit it. Have any of you felt that way?

+Quote Post
Witherwings
post Aug 14 2007, 10:51 PM
Post #7

Big HP Fan

Member No.: 2,166

After re-reading, I place it as my second to last favorite of all the HP books - OotP first, CoS second, HBP third, GOF fourth, SS fifth, and then DH sixth with PoA seventh. Here's why: I didn't like the transition that happened in the book at all. I don't like how Voldemort rose that quickly (in less than one month - even though he really rose from the fifth to the seventh book, there was just too much of a transition going on - maybe in book six we didn't see enough of what was going on outside Hogwarts) to power and I didn't like the events as they unfolded in the book. I also think, as indicated above, that had some more of the other books showed us a lot more of what was going on outside Hogwarts, I wouldn't have felt as lost as I did in this book. I felt a lot of things were too rushed and the things that didn't need to be elaborated on went on for too long. I like how JK tied most of the loose stuff up, though of course, as I've said in other posts, there are questions remaining. And I didn't mind the epilogue at all. But I really would have liked to see a memorial honoring all of the dead (she gives Diggory a memorial in book four for a few pages). I think in her attempts to not make this book the longest (and she said that it could have ended up that way on her web-site) there are a few things she could have tied up further.

+Quote Post
albusseverus
post Aug 14 2007, 11:40 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 6,824

I have read the book twice, and I found that even though I wanted to read it slower the second time I was just as caught up and swept away as I was the first time. I love this book. I'm not sure which I liked better DH or HBP, but I am very sad that there are no new books in the series to look forward to. I saw a man reading DH today at my nephews football practice and I found myself jealous that he was still reading his book and I was not. I'm trying to resist the urge to read it a third time.

+Quote Post
crmhpfan
post Aug 15 2007, 01:38 AM
Post #9

Huge HP Fan

Group: News Posters
Member No.: 4,800

QUOTE(albusseverus @ Aug 15 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]134928[/snapback]
I have read the book twice, and I found that even though I wanted to read it slower the second time I was just as caught up and swept away as I was the first time.
That's exactly how I feel. I'm re-reading it for the 2nd time at the moment, and I was up till about midnight last night reading it, because I just couldn't put it down. Regretted that in the morning when my alarm went off at 7am for school lol. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'm trying to resist the urge to read it a third time.
Why resist?! Just read it again and again and again and again and again lol.

+Quote Post
Witherwings
post Aug 15 2007, 08:19 PM
Post #10

Big HP Fan

Just caught my attention: Snape is in the Headmaster's Office at Hogwarts. Yet, in OotP, the Headmaster's Office is inaccessible to Umbridge because it doesn't recognize her as an actual headmaster. JK, in her on-line interview, said that Snape's portrait wouldn't have appeared in the office after he died because he wasn't an actual headmaster (but that Harry would ensure it'd happen). How is it, if he's not truly headmaster, he is able to use the Headmaster's Office? I'm certain that it's not just that DD locked the room in OotP because he had an immediate departure from the school and it's the enchantments placed on the school that refuse Umbridge (and Fudge) entrance to that office. Phineas even goes on to talk, when Harry returns via portkey at the end of OotP, that the office is supposed to be closed off to any but the true headmaster. I can see why McGonagall would have admission at the end of HBP because she becomes the temporary headmistress. Was wondering what others thought about this.

EDIT: Also, why didn't any of the teachers attack Snape to avenge DD's death? Hagrid, McGonagall, Flitwick, Sprout - all present for the death of DD - didn't do anything against Snape and allowed him to operate as Headmaster. Why? We know that they didn't know anything we knew at the end of the book because McGonagall gladly attacks him when Harry is found at Ravenclaw's tower. We also can't assume it would have been fear - they could easily have taken on Snape and the Carrows.

This post has been edited by Witherwings: Aug 15 2007, 11:04 PM

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Aug 16 2007, 05:57 AM
Post #11

Greatest HP Fan That Ever Lived

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Witherwings @ Aug 15 2007, 09:19 PM) [snapback]135044[/snapback]
EDIT: Also, why didn't any of the teachers attack Snape to avenge DD's death? Hagrid, McGonagall, Flitwick, Sprout - all present for the death of DD - didn't do anything against Snape and allowed him to operate as Headmaster. Why? We know that they didn't know anything we knew at the end of the book because McGonagall gladly attacks him when Harry is found at Ravenclaw's tower. We also can't assume it would have been fear - they could easily have taken on Snape and the Carrows.

I have always wondered that myself. I would have thought that everyone in the Order would have been after him including Harry, yet he was able to become headmaster of Hogwarts.

I'm wondering if Jo had more written and just decided not to put it into the book?

+Quote Post
Hermy
post Aug 16 2007, 08:12 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 6,792

I think Snape could get into the Headmaster's office during his stint as headmaster because he was in fact the true headmaster at that time. After all, he was the one that Dumbledore wanted in that office (even if nobody else knew it). I'd imagine that whatever enchantment guarded the office recognized him as the true headmaster. However, at the end his portrait doesn't appear on the wall immediately because he'd "done a bunk," in effect abandoning his position as headmaster. I guess those who quit or get sacked don't automatically get honored with a portrait.

I vaguely wondered why the other teachers put up with him as well, but I think it was because their ultimate concern was protecting the students. McGonagall, for example, knew that if she fought against Snape or the Carrows there would be reprisals and she'd very quickly be hauled off to Azkaban or the Ministry or somewhere and replaced with another friend of the DEs. Same for Sprout, Flitwick, and so on....and if they all were removed from Hogwarts, the kids would be in the hands of the DEs with no protection. So they probably hated Snape's being there (as well as the Carrows) but they knew that they could ultimately do more to protect the children by swallowing that urge to blast him to smithereens in reprisal. I got the feeling from McGonagall's scenes that she was sort of operating with a quiet rage toward Snape, much the same as she did with Umbridge (remember that scene where she mutters under her breath to Peeves "They (the light fixtures) unscrew the other way.") The profs probably quietly approved of and encouraged the kids' rebellion during that year (Neville and Ginny fighting back for example), but they couldn't openly join them.

+Quote Post
Dijares
post Aug 16 2007, 09:43 AM
Post #13

Administrator

Member No.: 1

QUOTE(Witherwings @ Aug 15 2007, 09:19 PM) [snapback]135044[/snapback]
JK, in her on-line interview, said that Snape's portrait wouldn't have appeared in the office after he died because he wasn't an actual headmaster (but that Harry would ensure it'd happen).

Actually, what she said was that his portrait was not there because he abandoned his post.

Laura Trego: Was the absence of snapes portrait in the headmasters office in the last scene innocent or deliberate
J.K. Rowling: It was deliberate. Snape had effectively abandoned his post before dying, so he had not merited inclusion in these august circles.
J.K. Rowling: However, I like to think that Harry would be instrumental in ensuring that Snape's portrait would appear there in due course.

+Quote Post
Witherwings
post Aug 17 2007, 09:32 PM
Post #14

Big HP Fan

I just picked up on this and haven't seen it discussed anywhere else. In book seven, when Harry is given the watch by Mrs. Weasley, she states that it was her brother Fabian's watch. In book five, we learn that there were two members of the order who were Prewett's - Fabian and his brother Gideon. Is Molly a Prewett and hence those two her brothers? If so, she has then given Harry the watch of another Order member which is pretty cool (especially since he continues to hold that watch as an adult). However, it's also interesting that she gives Harry that watch instead of giving it to Ron if that is the significance of the watch. This would also explain her dedication to the Order.

+Quote Post
albusseverus
post Aug 17 2007, 09:40 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 6,824

I thought that the only reason she gave Harry the hand-me-down watch is because of Money. It is very significant to give a witch or wizard who comes of age a watch on their seventeenth birthday. She had given Ron a new watch for his birthday and so couldn't afford a new one for Harry as well.

+Quote Post
Witherwings
post Aug 17 2007, 09:54 PM
Post #16

Big HP Fan

QUOTE(albusseverus @ Aug 17 2007, 11:40 PM) [snapback]135156[/snapback]
I thought that the only reason she gave Harry the hand-me-down watch is because of Money. It is very significant to give a witch or wizard who comes of age a watch on their seventeenth birthday. She had given Ron a new watch for his birthday and so couldn't afford a new one for Harry as well.

I thought that at first as well. But then I re-read all the books this past week and finished the seventh tonight. Here's what page 114 says:

"'It's traditional to give a wizard a watch when he comes of age,' said Mrs. Weasley, watching him anxiously from beside the cooker. 'I'm afraid that one isn't new like Ron's, it was actually my brother Fabian's and he wasn't terribly careful with his possessions, it's a bit dented on the back, but - '"

Now, I know that there can be multiple people with the same name. However, knowing that Molly is a pureblood and her family was wiped from Sirius' family tree for being "blood-traitors" (as was the Weasley clan), and knowing that Fabian and Gideon Prewett were both in the Order, and knowing that Molly is now in the order, and knowing that she says that the watch was Fabian's, I was wondering if anyone else saw the connection. I don't know Molly's maiden name (I don't think it ever came up), but I thought I put this out there and see what others think.

Also, from what I understood, Arthur was moving up in the ranks of the ministry with Scrimgeour in office and had raises so money wasn't as tight an issue as in the past. I think the watch was more significant that a money issue, and it's touching Harry uses it in the epilogue.

EDIT: Just found it on Mugglenet (which JK has as one of her links on her webpage and to which she references [and gives interviews] frequently): "Molly Weasley's maiden name is Prewett." (http://www.mugglenet.com/books/general_facts.shtml)

Cool. Now I'm glad to know from whom the watch originated. And now I think the giving of the watch is significant showing that Molly was both making Harry aware of the dangers he faces (as her brother died), but also showing the confidence she has in him. It's the only reason I can think why she kept that watch and didn't pass it down to any of her own children.

NEW QUESTION: Was Ron's Aunt Muriel in school with Dumbledore?

2nd Edit: It says in the epilogue that the watch was Fabian Prewett's, connecting Molly to the deceased Prewett brothers in the original order. Interesting to know if they were twins.

This post has been edited by Witherwings: Aug 20 2007, 02:24 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 07:10 pm