IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

This translator is for your use, but if you use it, please realize that you must reply to messages in English. Thanks and enjoy!
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rate Deathly Hallows, What would you rate it out of 10?
Rate Deathly Hallows?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 30
Guests cannot vote 
Zola231
post Jan 21 2008, 06:06 PM
Post #21

Hugest HP Fan

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,324

I gave it a 9?10. It's a good book, but something is lacking from it. Maybe a dash of comedy, or a bit mmore explanation to what happended to all the other characters. Also it was the last book ever. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheBoyWhoLived
post Jan 22 2008, 05:21 PM
Post #22

Average HP Fan

Member No.: 5,402

QUOTE(Zola231 @ Jan 22 2008, 12:06 AM) [snapback]138454[/snapback]
I gave it a 9?10. It's a good book, but something is lacking from it. Maybe a dash of comedy, or a bit mmore explanation to what happended to all the other characters. Also it was the last book ever. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I give the same reason as Zola231, i think what was missing was the daily life at Hogwarts, and also that the book was ending

+Quote Post
Kiara
post Apr 24 2008, 06:41 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 7,207

Okay, I just have to refer to some of the things said in this thread.

1. Some of you said you had a problem with it because it didn't answer all of the loose ends and that was a disappointment. Well, actually, I thought it was a nice touch because not EVERYTHING needs to be answered... A big part of the fun is trying to answer them yourself, not being flooded with information and completely unable to use your imagination to think it up. I loved how she left some of it to us, because if she didn't, this board wouldn't be interesting and frankly, neither would the story once you start re-reading it, which is pretty much inevitable.

2. A lot of you said there were a lot of boring parts... Well, I don't really understand what you're talking about, though I guess the parts where they were on the run and everything were a little less exciting than the others. But even those always kept furthering the plot and answering questions that will eventually bring us closer to the end and to far more interesting storyline. I enjoyed all parts, action-filled or not.

3. I believe one of you said you missed the scenes in Hogwarts and such... Well, I believe hearing about it from afar and having to face something other than 'Harry and his homework troubles' and things more mature and adult, was a great way to emphasise the transition between teenager and adult. Harry becomes an adult in this book, and so do Ron, Hermione, Neville, Dean, Draco and all of them, and not only were they physically maturing, their problems and day-to-day lifestyles were maturing as well, making the book something very different from the others, but much more moving and thrilling to read.

4. One of you mentioned the fact that the climax in the book (Harry killing Voldemort at last) was disappointing. Well, I don't agree with that, and I'll tell you why - just before this, we read what must have been the longest and most emotinally-packed confrontation between Harry and Voldemort. Everything they had to say to each other, every ounce of contempt, insult and emotion came flowing out of their mouths, and I loved it. In fact, the simplicity of the way Voldemort dies is kind of symbolical to me - how something so small could cause such a great change, which was parallel to the entire plot - wasn't it Trelawny's prophecy alone that made Voldemort notice Harry was a threat, or BELIEVE Harry was a threat? Had this tiny thing not happened, whould Harry had been the one to stop him? Whould Voldemort be finished earlier, or whould he not be finished at all? The questions and imagining how to answer them are fascinating.

Well... that's all. Just to keep this post on-topic, I'll add that I rated this a perfect 10.

Sorry for the length,
Kiara.

+Quote Post
drishti sharan
post Mar 17 2009, 06:33 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 7,448

[font="Comic Sans MS"][/font] I read DH long ago. but still cherish the nervousness, excitement and tears(upon deaths of dobby and fred).
i loved it. gave it 9 on 10.
Drishti.......

+Quote Post
whitewolf
post Mar 17 2009, 11:14 PM
Post #25

HP Fan

Member No.: 7,971

Kiara you are right on. The end was not neat and tidy, but the beauty of this story has always been that parts of it feels like it could be real. In real life you don't always get neat and tidy. However there was a lot of answers not in the last chapter but throughout the book. Snape was explained. Dumberdore was made more human. We finally found out why the bartender of the Hogshead was always around. We got comfirmation that the Malforys is the last family you want to be a part of and the Weasley is the first one you would sign up for. Face it compared to the Weasleys the Malforys are whimp! Go Molly! Or yes, Ron and Harry finally had the "Herminone" conversation (and try and tell me that everyone didn't see that coming!). I was sadden by all the deaths of the good guys (and that's another conversation), but Voldermort was going to die and I knew it was not going to be in a spectacular way. Harry had beaten him in that forest. We just had to get to him die on Harry's turf, on Harry's terms. You see this started with Voldermort invading Harry's home and killing his family. The bad guys had invaded Hogwarts ( which for Harry was his home), and the good guys had to take it back. Yes, we would have liked the next hour, the next, day, the next week, the next year... you get the point: but we get a glimpse of the next 19 years in the epilouge. It's all good!! This is the best kind of story: one that goes on and on. I got the books at Thanksgiving and have read them all seven times. I'm still reading them. My children thing I'm nuts.LOL Rated: 10+

+Quote Post
enara
post Jun 22 2009, 03:39 AM
Post #26

Average HP Fan

Member No.: 4,472

I gave it a 4.
It is my least favorite book out of all of them.

I really didn't like Ron's character in the book. I guess I've come to terms with him leaving Harry and Hermione, but in my opinion the locket scene carried on for way too long. That was one of my least favorite things in the whole book. I could go on a rant about it, but I wont.

Just the whole flow of things was off for me. It felt like a part of a different series. The main part of this reason is the lack of Hogwarts. I agree that not going helped with the transition from child to adult, and that hearing information solely from a biased portrait adds to the suspense of things. But I feel a larger chunk before the battle should have been spent there, working on strategies, preparing for battle. Even Harry's search for the diadem was a bit rushed for me.

4. One of you mentioned the fact that the climax in the book (Harry killing Voldemort at last) was disappointing. Well, I don't agree with that, and I'll tell you why - just before this, we read what must have been the longest and most emotinally-packed confrontation between Harry and Voldemort. Everything they had to say to each other, every ounce of contempt, insult and emotion came flowing out of their mouths, and I loved it. In fact, the simplicity of the way Voldemort dies is kind of symbolical to me - how something so small could cause such a great change, which was parallel to the entire plot - wasn't it Trelawny's prophecy alone that made Voldemort notice Harry was a threat, or BELIEVE Harry was a threat? Had this tiny thing not happened, whould Harry had been the one to stop him? Whould Voldemort be finished earlier, or whould he not be finished at all? The questions and imagining how to answer them are fascinating.

For me, it's the fact that it was such a small thing. What would Harry have done if the wand had been in Snape's allegiance? He would have been screwed. The buildup was pretty good, although having then circle each other was a bit cliche. I think that if they really were talking for that long before fighting they would have just stopped and stood there, wands ready.

When I was first reading, I did have an issue with Harry killing Voldemort, because that would be splitting Harry's soul, but I think in this instance, that is a sacrifice he should have had to make.

Relationships seemed to be thrown together at the end for the sake of it. I'm going to leave it at that, but that's another subject I could talk about for hours.

+Quote Post
whitewolf
post Jun 22 2009, 12:50 PM
Post #27

HP Fan

QUOTE (enara @ Jun 22 2009, 04:39 AM) *
I gave it a 4.
It is my least favorite book out of all of them.

I really didn't like Ron's character in the book. I guess I've come to terms with him leaving Harry and Hermione, but in my opinion the locket scene carried on for way too long. That was one of my least favorite things in the whole book. I could go on a rant about it, but I wont.

Just the whole flow of things was off for me. It felt like a part of a different series. The main part of this reason is the lack of Hogwarts. I agree that not going helped with the transition from child to adult, and that hearing information solely from a biased portrait adds to the suspense of things. But I feel a larger chunk before the battle should have been spent there, working on strategies, preparing for battle. Even Harry's search for the diadem was a bit rushed for me.

For me, it's the fact that it was such a small thing. What would Harry have done if the wand had been in Snape's allegiance? He would have been screwed. The buildup was pretty good, although having then circle each other was a bit cliche. I think that if they really were talking for that long before fighting they would have just stopped and stood there, wands ready.

When I was first reading, I did have an issue with Harry killing Voldemort, because that would be splitting Harry's soul, but I think in this instance, that is a sacrifice he should have had to make.

Relationships seemed to be thrown together at the end for the sake of it. I'm going to leave it at that, but that's another subject I could talk about for hours.

I will not argue the rating: you have your right to your opinnion. However, your reasoning makes me wonder how well you read the book. The Ron/Harry discord was a combination of the affects of the locket and some deep long unspoken beliefs on Ron's part, that he had never voiced. Believe me, that was coming. Nobody who are good friends, and especially goes through what these two have, does not have at least one good rowl.

Hogwarts was the main battlefield and the victory ground. The trio was trying to protect the school and it was envaded by the enemy. Yet, it still became the final battleground.

Dumberdore can be blamed for the reason of the wand. He new that Voldermort was ignorant in so many ways that he used that ignorance to teach Harry how to beat him. He also set it up that Malfoy not Snape would end up with the wand. I think in part to protect Snape and also in part because Voldermort would make the wrong assumption, as he had hoped, and gave Harry his out. Also remember, by using Harry's blood to reform himself, he kind of made himself a "horocrux" for Harry. So you see, as long as Voldermort lived Harry could not die. However, Voldermort could die, especially if cursed by some other than Harry. In the end he cursed himself. The complexity in the way he died is what makes it intresting, other wise we could just have them meet on the streets of Hogwarts at high noon and have a spell-out.

Finally the relationships: you have to have read all the books for some of them to make sense ( Aberforth,Bill,Nevell's reasons for his role) : but the two it answers best is Dumberdore/Snape and Snape/Harry. Why would Dumberdore trust Snape,especially in the case of Harry, with all that he knew about him? He was not only a Death Eater, but the Death Eater that sent Voldermort after the Potters, who had a particular hatred for James. DD knew this and yet he defended and trusted him to and with Harry. Answer: He loved Harry's mother! She was not just a classmate that try to defend him once! They were childhood friends, who may have even dated briefly before the break-up. This information was vital to the victory of Harry because it made Snape an unbeatable ally that Voldermort never saw until too late.

I don't know how old you are but your apprieciation of this book might increase as you get older. Please read it again.

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Jun 22 2009, 02:40 PM
Post #28

Greatest HP Fan That Ever Lived

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (whitewolf @ Jun 22 2009, 01:50 PM) *
I will not argue the rating: you have your right to your opinnion. However, your reasoning makes me wonder how well you read the book. The Ron/Harry discord was a combination of the affects of the locket and some deep long unspoken beliefs on Ron's part, that he had never voiced. Believe me, that was coming. Nobody who are good friends, and especially goes through what these two have, does not have at least one good rowl.

Hogwarts was the main battlefield and the victory ground. The trio was trying to protect the school and it was envaded by the enemy. Yet, it still became the final battleground.

Dumberdore can be blamed for the reason of the wand. He new that Voldermort was ignorant in so many ways that he used that ignorance to teach Harry how to beat him. He also set it up that Malfoy not Snape would end up with the wand. I think in part to protect Snape and also in part because Voldermort would make the wrong assumption, as he had hoped, and gave Harry his out. Also remember, by using Harry's blood to reform himself, he kind of made himself a "horocrux" for Harry. So you see, as long as Voldermort lived Harry could not die. However, Voldermort could die, especially if cursed by some other than Harry. In the end he cursed himself. The complexity in the way he died is what makes it intresting, other wise we could just have them meet on the streets of Hogwarts at high noon and have a spell-out.

Finally the relationships: you have to have read all the books for some of them to make sense ( Aberforth,Bill,Nevell's reasons for his role) : but the two it answers best is Dumberdore/Snape and Snape/Harry. Why would Dumberdore trust Snape,especially in the case of Harry, with all that he knew about him? He was not only a Death Eater, but the Death Eater that sent Voldermort after the Potters, who had a particular hatred for James. DD knew this and yet he defended and trusted him to and with Harry. Answer: He loved Harry's mother! She was not just a classmate that try to defend him once! They were childhood friends, who may have even dated briefly before the break-up. This information was vital to the victory of Harry because it made Snape an unbeatable ally that Voldermort never saw until too late.

I don't know how old you are but your apprieciation of this book might increase as you get older. Please read it again.

Ok, let's not get into the appreciation, or lack there of, of a book as an age factor. Just a difference of opinion is all that is needed. :~)

Oh and enara is an adult. lol

+Quote Post
whitewolf
post Jun 23 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #29

HP Fan

QUOTE (baty4potter @ Jun 22 2009, 03:40 PM) *
Ok, let's not get into the appreciation, or lack there of, of a book as an age factor. Just a difference of opinion is all that is needed. :~)

Oh and enara is an adult. lol

No offense meant ma'am, no offense! Just making a little light conversation. Forgive, long of wind! LOL

+Quote Post
enara
post Jun 23 2009, 12:50 PM
Post #30

Average HP Fan

I actually very much liked the Snape - Lilly factor, which I actually found funny because I was so opposed to Snape and Lilly before the book. So I agree with about everything you just said in this paragraph.

I wasn't too clear in my post when I said relationships. I meant the Ginny/Harry and Ron/Hermione, the romance aspect. I know that with the search for the horcruxes, there was little time for romance, but even at the end of the book, I just found something lacking. How Ron and Hermione got together in the middle of battle seemed a bit of a stretch for me.

The Ron/Harry discord was a combination of the affects of the locket and some deep long unspoken beliefs on Ron's part, that he had never voiced. Believe me, that was coming. Nobody who are good friends, and especially goes through what these two have, does not have at least one good rowl.

Harry and Ron in my opinion have had a few good rows (I'm thinking of the 4th book right now, because I'm just rereading it). Like I've said before I understand him leaving.

The locket just carried on to long. I could see it for a short amount of time, but I thought it got a bit unbelievable towards the end.

Just on a side note: It's nice to meet you, I haven't been on these boards in forever, so, nice to meet a new person!

+Quote Post
whitewolf
post Jun 24 2009, 01:29 AM
Post #31

HP Fan

QUOTE (enara @ Jun 23 2009, 01:50 PM) *
I actually very much liked the Snape - Lilly factor, which I actually found funny because I was so opposed to Snape and Lilly before the book. So I agree with about everything you just said in this paragraph.

I wasn't too clear in my post when I said relationships. I meant the Ginny/Harry and Ron/Hermione, the romance aspect. I know that with the search for the horcruxes, there was little time for romance, but even at the end of the book, I just found something lacking. How Ron and Hermione got together in the middle of battle seemed a bit of a stretch for me.

Harry and Ron in my opinion have had a few good rows (I'm thinking of the 4th book right now, because I'm just rereading it). Like I've said before I understand him leaving.

The locket just carried on to long. I could see it for a short amount of time, but I thought it got a bit unbelievable towards the end.

Just on a side note: It's nice to meet you, I haven't been on these boards in forever, so, nice to meet a new person!

It's a pleasure to meet you too. I joined back around Februray. I got the books at Thanksgiving as a get well present and have not been able to put them down yet. I keep trying to find something else, but not working yet. Back on topic: Ron and Hermione have been heading for each other since book one, although I too was a bit disappointed that the affirmation would occur at the hieght of the war. (Too cliche') As for Harry and Ginny, that too was a slow burn, with hint here and there. The best one was in book six HBP duriing the portions class when the brew that makes you think of all those things you love, the flowery smell from the Weasley's home was the shampoo from Ginny's hair (DH). In fact my favor HBP moments were Harry's realization of his affection for Ginny.
The Snape/Lily thing explains him. His behavior towards Harry is not excused but his almost love/hate schism is explained. "Somebody has issues!!!!" LOL

Finally, I might would agree on the locket thing except that it was the first time we could see the affects that having a part of the evil thing attached to you could do to a perfectly rational soul. By watching the most stable friendship in the book be torn to pieces over something so trivia show you the evil that can permenate a soul. This made Harry's resistance to Voldermort's portion in him all the more heoric. He resisted the evil and the fear. This made him better and stronger than Voldermort. Going yield the floor now. (long winded, sorry!!)

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Jun 24 2009, 07:06 AM
Post #32

Greatest HP Fan That Ever Lived

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (whitewolf @ Jun 23 2009, 12:41 PM) *
No offense meant ma'am, no offense! Just making a little light conversation. Forgive, long of wind! LOL

I understand, but just want to keep things on an even note. :~)

+Quote Post
enara
post Jun 26 2009, 12:56 PM
Post #33

Average HP Fan

Finally, I might would agree on the locket thing except that it was the first time we could see the affects that having a part of the evil thing attached to you could do to a perfectly rational soul. By watching the most stable friendship in the book be torn to pieces over something so trivia show you the evil that can permenate a soul. This made Harry's resistance to Voldermort's portion in him all the more heoric. He resisted the evil and the fear. This made him better and stronger than Voldermort. Going yield the floor now.

Actually, you make a really good point. I agree to some degree (that rhymes..). Just, I don't know, something about it still bothers me.

Deathly Hallows is a good book, I just think it lacks compared to the other ones.

+Quote Post
imperio
post Jun 27 2009, 07:30 AM
Post #34

Newbie HP Fan

Member No.: 7,598

I really loved Deathly Hallows, id been looking forward to it for so long.

I thought it had more of an adventure book feeling to it rather than a magical book.

I enjoyed the adventure in it but nothing beats the first few books when you get immersed by the magic.

Just my personal opinion.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 09:16 pm