IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

This translator is for your use, but if you use it, please realize that you must reply to messages in English. Thanks and enjoy!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Illustrations, Discuss here
Nossist
post Aug 22 2007, 08:10 AM
Post #1

HP Fan

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,102

Now im not saying there is anything wrong with the front cover of the Deathly Hallows books. (whether the one where the trio is at Gringotts, Harry and V, or whatever ones there are, they are all good)

I thought it would be fun to think of some Illustrations that would have been interesting to put on the front cover instead of the ones they used.

I really would have liked to see one when Harry is fighting V in the air in the chapter "the seven potters" when Harry and V are in mid air and both are pointing their wands at eachother, it wouldve looked like the final battle, that is until we read past that chapter, then we wouldnt have known what to expect (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Also one I was thinking about would be when Harry is on his broom and Ron and Hermione are on another broom and they are in the room of requirement and the fiendfyre is destroying the room, and Harry was stretching out for something (Malfoy), it would have looked really nice and would have been hard to know what that was, like the fire in the background and Harry reaching out for something...

Anyways discuss some of your own opinions on what wouldve been a good illustration..

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dijares
post Aug 22 2007, 11:49 AM
Post #2

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I think one of DD and Harry in King's Cross would have been cool - would have confused a lot of people. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

+Quote Post
Perseus_Evans
post Aug 22 2007, 04:34 PM
Post #3

Big HP Fan

Member No.: 704

Great thread idea, since there are so many scenes that would have made for great cover art! I do think the battle in the sky would have been a good one, for the reasons you say.

Other possibilities:

Harry in front of his parent's house in Godric's Hollow (most knew he would go there)... and Malfoy Manor could have been the back cover.

Harry, Ron and Hermione with Kreacher serving them breakfast. (That would have been a bit confusing to most)

But my favorite (just for the sense of throwback the midnight duel in PS/SS) would have been Harry, Ron, Hermione and Neville walking through the passage from the Hog's Head. (This would have convinced me that the Hallows were a network of catacombs, as I originally thought)

+Quote Post
Hermione@13
post Aug 22 2007, 07:39 PM
Post #4

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 3,572

Just a note:the illustrations in the beginning of the chapters for the American Versions really gave away a lot!

Anyway, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laughing.gif) ...if I saw DD on the cover with Harry talking to him I would think that the Polyjuice Potion theory with Aberforth and DD trading places was true!

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Aug 23 2007, 03:34 AM
Post #5

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 5,046

Well we don't get illustrations in the Australian versions and because of that I'm thinking of ordering another set of the books as the American editions.
Do you guys (who have illustrated copies) think it's worth it?

Personally I'm glad there weren't illustrations in mine upon first reads because it allowed me to completly design in my mind every detail of the book without any infulence from anywhere else (until the movies came out that is)

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Aug 23 2007, 06:03 AM
Post #6

Greatest HP Fan That Ever Lived

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(the_prisoner_of_azkaban @ Aug 23 2007, 04:34 AM) [snapback]135362[/snapback]
Well we don't get illustrations in the Australian versions and because of that I'm thinking of ordering another set of the books as the American editions.
Do you guys (who have illustrated copies) think it's worth it?

Personally I'm glad there weren't illustrations in mine upon first reads because it allowed me to completly design in my mind every detail of the book without any infulence from anywhere else (until the movies came out that is)

For me it is, I have both American and British versions. The American version is *kinda* like the Adult version, in a sense, they don't have pictures imprinted on the book itself, just on the jacket. That is the only similarity though, well except for what's inside.

+Quote Post
Hermione@13
post Aug 23 2007, 07:15 PM
Post #7

Huge HP Fan

PoA:I would buy the American Version if I was you, but that's just me.(lol, that came out weird) The only reason why I don't have all of the versions out there is because my mom doesn't see the point since it's the same story in each.

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Aug 24 2007, 01:48 AM
Post #8

Huge HP Fan

Do both the British and the American versions have illustrations?

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Aug 24 2007, 05:47 AM
Post #9

Greatest HP Fan That Ever Lived

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(the_prisoner_of_azkaban @ Aug 24 2007, 02:48 AM) [snapback]135395[/snapback]
Do both the British and the American versions have illustrations?

If you are talking about inside the book, no. Only the American versions have illustrations and they are at the beginning of each chapter.

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Aug 24 2007, 06:35 PM
Post #10

Huge HP Fan

Thanks Baty. In that case I will look into ordering the American versions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Nossist
post Aug 25 2007, 08:46 PM
Post #11

HP Fan

Member No.: 6,102

Another good illuatration that just came to mind was where V is standing in front of everyone at Hogwarts talking, it would have been good and not showing Harry lieing there would add suspense.

Also another good one could be showing Harry as a baby and V standing over him pointing his wand at him, this would have added alot of questions.

+Quote Post
Hermione@13
post Aug 26 2007, 12:13 AM
Post #12

Huge HP Fan

Hmmm...I guess any of the illustrations showing the Horcruxes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Maybe even Harry with the sword of gryffindor, soaking wet, and with Ron hanging on to him.

+Quote Post
KBell
post Sep 2 2007, 04:05 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,339

QUOTE(baty4potter @ Aug 24 2007, 06:47 AM) [snapback]135401[/snapback]
If you are talking about inside the book, no. Only the American versions have illustrations and they are at the beginning of each chapter.

I cannot believe that there are illustrations inside the American versions - I feel so short changed!!! Does anyone know if they can be found on the web somewhere, or will I have to try and track down American versions of the books to see them?

+Quote Post
AnotherWeasley
post Sep 2 2007, 08:38 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 7,026

You can see them all here:
http://gallery.the-leaky-cauldron.org/default/category/18

They're great once you've read the books. Hermione13 is right, they're kinda spoilers. They're not as bad as the chapter names though. I can't believe I opened up HBP and saw the last two chapters titled 'The Phoenix Lament' and 'The White Tomb'! I refused to even look at the table of contents for DH after that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shhh.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 08:24 am