IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

This translator is for your use, but if you use it, please realize that you must reply to messages in English. Thanks and enjoy!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What was Lupin's patronus?
the_prisoner_of_...
post Oct 1 2007, 11:29 PM
Post #1

Huge HP Fan

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,046

Hey everyone, while I was reading over the books as far as I can tell we never found out what Lupin's patronus was.

A patronus is supposed to represent the person but it is also something happy and positive which is whyI don't think it could be a werewolf expecially as his boggart is the full moon.

Any Ideas?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nossist
post Oct 6 2007, 10:39 PM
Post #2

HP Fan

Member No.: 6,102

Yeah I dont think we ever found out, I think she answered that in an interview but im not really sure which one and what she said, it was something about someone who we dont know what their patronus looks like.
I was also wondering what Sirius' patronus would look like (in case we havent been told already), or wait a minute I just remember wouldnt it be a dog?

But your right, for Lupin i doubt a werewolf would be his patronus.

Maybe someone can help us out on this?

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Oct 7 2007, 03:53 AM
Post #3

Huge HP Fan

Hmm....well maybe we could come up with some possibilities if we look at the attributes that Lupin has and try to match them to an animal?

Lupin was;
Loyal, wise, studious, rational...

hmm an Owl?

+Quote Post
TheGeezerOfOz
post May 1 2008, 03:30 PM
Post #4

HP Fan

Member No.: 6,894

I'm just going to take a stab at this, but it could be a wolf like Tonk's?

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post May 16 2008, 07:58 PM
Post #5

Huge HP Fan

It could be, but I wonder whether or not it would be a little obvious you know?

I mean James was a stag we know that, but it doesn't mean Sirius was a dog even though it was his animagus (although looking at Sirius' traits you could easily suggest he was).

+Quote Post
Bellatrix
post Feb 4 2010, 08:02 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 7,230

If we look at 2 animagi in the series, James and McGonogal; their patronus's were what they transformed in to. Therefore, it's highly likely that Sirius's patronus would be a dog.
Similarly, I think Wormtail's patronus would be a rat. He is sneaky, eavesdrops alot, only looks after himself- has very rat like tendencies.

I'm still not sure about Lupin's though..most probably a wolf, or a dog which is not domesticated..

+Quote Post
Fizzing_Whizzbee
post Mar 2 2010, 10:42 AM
Post #7

Average HP Fan

Member No.: 110

Greetings all. I am still around, just been busy and haven't really seen anything to make me want to chime in on.

However, I've given this some thought and find it intriguing.

I believe that in Rowling's world, magic is a very personalized thing. I will use wands as an example. A person can use magic with anyone's wand. However, with their own wand, the magic is much more potent and specialized (James' wand being better for Transfiguration and Lily's for Charms for example).

How does this apply to animagi? I would surmize that these two forms of magic are highly personalized. While an accomplished witch/wizard could produce any form or take any shape, the best results (ease of transformation and how comfortable a person is in that form) are when a form is chosen that fits their personality.

So, finally comming to the issue at hand, I believe the same prinicples can be applied to a patronus. We've seen how Tonks had two different ones. One was weaker (according to Snape) looking than the other. We've also seen James and McGonnagal's patronuses have the same shape as their animal forms.

Of course with Lupin, things are complicated because he doesn't have a choice in his animal form. Although, I still believe his pratronus would be a wolf. While he fears what can happen during a transformation, he has also come to accept his affliction. I believe this acceptance is important. By being comfortable (at least moreso than others in his situation) with being a werewolf, he is able to take that raw, feral power and channel it into a potent patronus.

That's just my opinion though.

This post has been edited by Fizzing_Whizzbee: Mar 4 2010, 11:56 PM

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Mar 4 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #8

Huge HP Fan

Of course with Lupin things are complicated because he doesn't have a choice in his animal form. Although, I still believe his pratronus would be a wolf. While he fears what can happen during a transformation, he has also come to accept his affliction. I belive this acceptance is important. By being comfortable (at least moreso than others in his situation) with being a werewolf, he is able to take that raw, feral power and channel it into a potent patronus.

You make a good point about how Patronus' change (like Tonks did). There may be times in the story where I could believe Lupin's patronus would be a wolf (say after he is offered the position at Hogwarts etc.) However, I think after the birth of Teddy we saw how he reacted to the possibility that his son might be afflicted so I don't think at that stage his patronus would be a wolf (because he's almost angry at it at this point). If he fears the moon enough for his bogart to be the full moon I'm just not sure I can believe his patronus would be a wolf. But just my thoughts

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 02:36 am