IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

This translator is for your use, but if you use it, please realize that you must reply to messages in English. Thanks and enjoy!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> why didn't dumbledore hear the basilisk?
Bellatrix
post Feb 12 2008, 05:17 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,230

It just occured to me that dumbledore could speak parseltongue (according to Jo's website)...so why didn't he hear the basilisk like Harry did? I don't know if it is a mistake by Jo, but he could of solved the mystery 50 years ago, being as clever as he is.

Any thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Feb 12 2008, 07:00 AM
Post #2

Greatest HP Fan That Ever Lived

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

My first thought after reading all the books is maybe he did but it was in the plan to let things play out. Doesn't seem quite right but it is my first thought.

+Quote Post
Bellatrix
post Feb 13 2008, 11:33 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,230

Hmm..but dumbledore would never put students in danger.

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Feb 13 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #4

He wouldn't put most students in harms way, but Harry was different. There were a couple of time I felt that DD knew what was going on and let Harry and company get themselves out of trouble.

+Quote Post
enara
post Feb 27 2008, 10:23 PM
Post #5

Average HP Fan

Member No.: 4,472

I think that he wasn't in the right place at the right time.
Harry didn't hear the voice all the time, only sometimes. Dumbledore, who spends a reasonable amount of time in his office, might not have heard it because he wasn't where the voice was.

+Quote Post
magicalgal
post Mar 1 2008, 03:36 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 7,226

well maybe dumbledore new , except he wanted harry to find out for himself, because Voldy is his past and present and future

+Quote Post
hpfannx3
post Mar 8 2008, 06:42 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 7,360

I dont understand, i didnt think DD could speak parlstounge, because he didnt know that the monster in the chamber was a snake. He just knew there was a chamber and that there was a monster inside, so if he could speak parsltounge then he would have known, wouldn't he?

+Quote Post
imperio
post Sep 16 2008, 01:22 PM
Post #8

Newbie HP Fan

Member No.: 7,598

I never knew DD could speak parseltounge

This post has been edited by imperio: Sep 16 2008, 01:22 PM

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Sep 17 2008, 03:51 AM
Post #9

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 5,046

I thought that perhaps DD knowledge of Parseltongue was less that he could understand it but could only speak it. In DH Ron opens the chamber by copying Harry. I believe DD learnt Parseltongue (probably from Grindlewald) but could not hear it because he was not a natural one.

+Quote Post
imperio
post Feb 28 2009, 04:54 PM
Post #10

Newbie HP Fan

Member No.: 7,598

Something i'v noticed about the Parseltongue debate is that..................... Why do other people not hear the snakes noise it's hissing as it had to make that noise for harry to understand it, when he is listening to the snake why don't Ron and Hermione hear the hissing of the snake they say "i can't hear a thing Harry". when Harry talks to the snake at the duelling club everyone can hear the snake, but not when the basalisk is making the noise in the pipes.

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Feb 28 2009, 08:17 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (imperio @ Feb 28 2009, 05:54 PM) *
Something i'v noticed about the Parseltongue debate is that..................... Why do other people not hear the snakes noise it's hissing as it had to make that noise for harry to understand it, when he is listening to the snake why don't Ron and Hermione hear the hissing of the snake they say "i can't hear a thing Harry". when Harry talks to the snake at the duelling club everyone can hear the snake, but not when the basalisk is making the noise in the pipes.

I have to say that I also wondered about that. I know it's probably been answered, but I don't recall one. But a very good question I have to say.

+Quote Post
jennyrocks_#1
post Apr 9 2009, 07:57 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 8,002

QUOTE (Bellatrix @ Feb 12 2008, 06:17 AM) *
It just occured to me that dumbledore could speak parseltongue (according to Jo's website)...so why didn't he hear the basilisk like Harry did? I don't know if it is a mistake by Jo, but he could of solved the mystery 50 years ago, being as clever as he is.

Any thoughts?

it entered with out making a noies

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 10:11 pm