IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

This translator is for your use, but if you use it, please realize that you must reply to messages in English. Thanks and enjoy!
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Have you read it yet?, What did you think?
Dijares
post Dec 4 2008, 02:24 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I haven't gotten my copy yet! I'm so busy!!!

But, if you've gotten yours make sure to let us know what you think!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Dec 4 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #2

Greatest HP Fan That Ever Lived

Member No.: 2

Haven't gotten either of mine yet, but did get notification that they were sent.

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Dec 4 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #3

Huge HP Fan

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,046

I have the feeling I got mine a little too early. Target had it on the morning of the 3rd of December. But yes I have it and I have read it. I really liked it, DD notes are hilarious in some parts!! but also really eye-opening and deep in others. The tales themselves are really cute too!

But what I don't understand is the notes DD left in the book....and in the same book Hermione had in her possesion. You would think Hermione would mention the fact that DD disscusses the 'death stick' in detail and having read that she would've clued into why he left the book for her. Maybe she did and I'm just forgetting things.

This post has been edited by the_prisoner_of_azkaban: Dec 4 2008, 10:10 PM

+Quote Post
Grubbly-Plank
post Dec 5 2008, 03:49 AM
Post #4

HP Fan

Member No.: 7,313

Had mine yesterday, but only managed to check if it was ok & now it's waiting to be wrapped for Xmas Day - might get the ordinary copy when we go in to town next!!!

+Quote Post
Kane
post Dec 5 2008, 04:45 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,467

Errr... hay, guys, I have returned... if anyone here even remembers me. I was only here for a while, before I left for a long time. With Prelims coming up, I was overloaded and just didnt have time to come here. But Im back now!
It was actually the release of this book that got me to come on here, and Il try not to go wandering again. I went down to ASDA today, and got my copy today, only read a little, but can tell its gonna be great.
Dijares, is that picture the front cover of the copy in America? Just wondering, as mine is different. A bluey cover, actually.

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Dec 6 2008, 06:52 AM
Post #6

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 5,046

Yea I have the bluey cover too. It's not as cool as Dij's image.

+Quote Post
Kane
post Dec 6 2008, 03:36 PM
Post #7

you, Dijares is really cool... not that ours arnt. But Dij's cover has got far more colour, and images.

This post has been edited by Kane: Dec 6 2008, 03:37 PM

+Quote Post
Fizzing_Whizzbee
post Dec 7 2008, 10:57 AM
Post #8

Average HP Fan

Member No.: 110

I have my copy. Didn't go overboard for the fancy copy, the standard $8 copy (a brown/tan colored cover) from Wal-Mart was good enough for me.

I actually finished my copy last last night (or early this morning depending how you want to look at it).

I thought the stories themselves and the commentary were very well done with one exception. The commentary for the "Three Brothers" seemed to end a little abruptly and was a little sterile I thought. We know from reading Hallows how obsessed Dumbledore was with the artifacts particularly the Stone. I thought perhaps there would be some more comentary on that.

I realize that in order to get the effect that we are reading exactly what Hermione was reading, things would be sterile and such. Otherwise, the Ministry would have been wiser and not let the book be passed on.

Still, as I recall, Hermione mentions there is grafiti and such in her copy (much like is shown in "Fantastic Beasts"). It may be that in the handwritten versions, or the more expensive collectors additions, those notes and such are present. If anyone has the collectors addition, or perhaps has seen the handwritten copy on display anywhere and can say if there is a difference in comentary and a presence of Dumbledore's grafiti, I would be interested in knowing.

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Dec 7 2008, 11:11 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Fizzing_Whizzbee @ Dec 7 2008, 11:57 AM) *
I have my copy. Didn't go overboard for the fancy copy, the standard $8 copy (a brown/tan colored cover) from Wal-Mart was good enough for me.

I actually finished my copy last last night (or early this morning depending how you want to look at it).

I thought the stories themselves and the commentary were very well done with one exception. The commentary for the "Three Brothers" seemed to end a little abruptly and was a little sterile I thought. We know from reading Hallows how obsessed Dumbledore was with the artifacts particularly the Stone. I thought perhaps there would be some more comentary on that.

I realize that in order to get the effect that we are reading exactly what Hermione was reading, things would be sterile and such. Otherwise, the Ministry would have been wiser and not let the book be passed on.

Still, as I recall, Hermione mentions there is grafiti and such in her copy (much like is shown in "Fantastic Beasts"). It may be that in the handwritten versions, or the more expensive collectors additions, those notes and such are present. If anyone has the collectors addition, or perhaps has seen the handwritten copy on display anywhere and can say if there is a difference in comentary and a presence of Dumbledore's grafiti, I would be interested in knowing.

I'm getting both the standard and the deluxe copy so I'll let you know what the differences are.

+Quote Post
Grubbly-Plank
post Dec 7 2008, 02:12 PM
Post #10

HP Fan

Aagghh!!! Can't say anything as my Collectors Edition was whipped away from me just as I'd finished checking that it was OK (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Apparently Santa needs it so that he can pack it & put it under the tree!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Kane
post Dec 7 2008, 02:19 PM
Post #11

Theres a Collectors Edition? Anyone know if its any different? And, out of interest, what does it look like?
Anyways, yep, just finished my copy. I loved it, really, I thought it as really good, for what it was meant to be; an extra for Harry Potter, and it does give us some clues and answers questions (at least, I think it does). I wont give to much away though, as nobody else really has.

This post has been edited by Kane: Dec 7 2008, 02:19 PM

+Quote Post
Grubbly-Plank
post Dec 7 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #12

HP Fan

QUOTE (Kane @ Dec 7 2008, 08:19 PM) *
Theres a Collectors Edition? Anyone know if its any different? And, out of interest, what does it look like?
Anyways, yep, just finished my copy. I loved it, really, I thought it as really good, for what it was meant to be; an extra for Harry Potter, and it does give us some clues and answers questions (at least, I think it does). I wont give to much away though, as nobody else really has.

You'll find the Collectors Edition on Amazon (either .co.uk or .com) It's not cheap but its lovely - worth you checking out!! Maybe Santa might be good to you too!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post
Kane
post Dec 8 2008, 01:54 PM
Post #13

No way will "Santa" buy that for me. I'd love to have it though. But, to someone who has the book (collectors edition); is it worth 50?

+Quote Post
Grubbly-Plank
post Dec 8 2008, 05:12 PM
Post #14

HP Fan

QUOTE (Kane @ Dec 8 2008, 07:54 PM) *
No way will "Santa" buy that for me. I'd love to have it though. But, to someone who has the book (collectors edition); is it worth 50?

Whether it's worth 50 - that's a matter for each individual to judge. The 'little' book is very tactile & heavy for something so small - the metal work & the 'gems' just add to it. I think it's lovely & I'm very pleased with it - well I would be if I could just get my mitts on it!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Dec 8 2008, 07:34 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Grubbly-Plank @ Dec 8 2008, 06:12 PM) *
Whether it's worth 50 - that's a matter for each individual to judge. The 'little' book is very tactile & heavy for something so small - the metal work & the 'gems' just add to it. I think it's lovely & I'm very pleased with it - well I would be if I could just get my mitts on it!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

As you said the price for the collectors edition is for the individual to decide. I love mine, and am having a hard time putting it in it's proper place instead of keeping it in it's original packaging. Oh, I got both copies today. Collectors and the British standard edition. Still deciding if I'm going to do my usual and get the American version of the standard edition to finish the collection off.

+Quote Post
Grubbly-Plank
post Dec 9 2008, 04:46 AM
Post #16

HP Fan

QUOTE (baty4potter @ Dec 9 2008, 01:34 AM) *
As you said the price for the collectors edition is for the individual to decide. I love mine, and am having a hard time putting it in it's proper place instead of keeping it in it's original packaging. Oh, I got both copies today. Collectors and the British standard edition. Still deciding if I'm going to do my usual and get the American version of the standard edition to finish the collection off.

Think that I'll get the standard copy when I go into town either later today or tomorrow - at least that way I won't have to wait to read it. Is it just the additional prints in the front cover of the outside book that's different - is the wording etc inside of the Collectors the same as the standard??

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Dec 9 2008, 07:11 AM
Post #17

QUOTE (Grubbly-Plank @ Dec 9 2008, 05:46 AM) *
Think that I'll get the standard copy when I go into town either later today or tomorrow - at least that way I won't have to wait to read it. Is it just the additional prints in the front cover of the outside book that's different - is the wording etc inside of the Collectors the same as the standard??

Not positive about the wording because I carefully put the book back into it's packaging, but did notice that there was hand writing in the front page of the collectors edition which is not in front of the standard. The pictures inside I need to check out also.

+Quote Post
Grubbly-Plank
post Dec 9 2008, 07:55 AM
Post #18

HP Fan

QUOTE (baty4potter @ Dec 9 2008, 01:11 PM) *
Not positive about the wording because I carefully put the book back into it's packaging, but did notice that there was hand writing in the front page of the collectors edition which is not in front of the standard. The pictures inside I need to check out also.

Oh good you've had it. I didn't want to say anything to spoil the surprise. I did have a pretty good look before putting it back & it's the introduction that's handwritten - some of it I did noticed was a little difficult to read with the way her writing can be!!! I remember some of the drawings in the front cover were larger versions of the ones in the book, but I didn't get the chance to see all the drawings in the book. But I think the whole package, from the book within a book to the velvet bag, has been beautifully done & I must say that I can't wait to get my Grubbly hands on it!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap.gif)

+Quote Post
Dijares
post Dec 9 2008, 09:17 AM
Post #19

Administrator

Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Kane @ Dec 5 2008, 04:45 PM) *
Errr... hay, guys, I have returned... if anyone here even remembers me. I was only here for a while, before I left for a long time. With Prelims coming up, I was overloaded and just didnt have time to come here. But Im back now!
It was actually the release of this book that got me to come on here, and Il try not to go wandering again. I went down to ASDA today, and got my copy today, only read a little, but can tell its gonna be great.
Dijares, is that picture the front cover of the copy in America? Just wondering, as mine is different. A bluey cover, actually.

Hi Kane (and, yes, I remember you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ),

Yes, that cover is the US edition. Here is the UK version:

(IMG:http://www.harrypotterspage.com/images/photogallery/albums/userpics/normal_beedle_uk_cover.JPG)

+Quote Post
Kane
post Dec 9 2008, 11:29 AM
Post #20

Yeah, thats the one Iv got. Thanks, Dij! As for the CE, Iv decided I really want it now, though I dont think Ill ever recieive it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 10:08 am