IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

This translator is for your use, but if you use it, please realize that you must reply to messages in English. Thanks and enjoy!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why Cancel Quidditch?, Why did Dumbldore cancel Quidditch for the Triwizard championship?
RedEye
post May 19 2009, 11:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,052

So just why would Dumbledore need to cancel the Quidditch matches just becuase they had the Triwizard tournement?
Presumably only one Hogwart's student would be unavailable (although it turned out to be two, when Harry and Cedric's names both came out of the Goblet of Fire).
So why punnish all the other students who played Quidditch by cancelling the Quidditch games as well?

Even if the Quidditch Pitch was needed for the last task when the maze was grown on the field, that still left two thirds of the year when the game could be played. Certainly the matches could have taken place: without Harry and Cedric on the teams and on an accelerated schedule to be done before the Spring and the time the field was needed for the hedges and maze.

Cancelling this major part of Hogwart's life and tradition so that all the other studend could devote their attention to being plain old spectators at three one day events seems unlikely to me.
When I was at school if the Football team went to the State Championship they did not cancel Basketball, and Cross Country, and Hockey, and Track and Field, and Field Hockey, Baseball, and Softball, and Tennis, etc. etc.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
whitewolf
post Jun 12 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #2

HP Fan

Member No.: 7,971

I just revisted this and from what I could discern the reason was the scheduling. The events were not just the turnoment( The ball; the parent get together..ect...) There was a whole group of activities that needed focus. And remember Quidditch was quarterly as were the events. It's not like regular schools where games are played each week for a period of time until the season ends. Quidditch is played throughout the year with the matches set up according to winning pairs. Besides it took almost an entire season to grow the maze, so where would they play. I know you can argue they play in the air, but the field is important.

+Quote Post
Kane
post Jun 14 2009, 04:34 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,467

QUOTE (whitewolf @ Jun 12 2009, 11:43 AM) *
I just revisted this and from what I could discern the reason was the scheduling. The events were not just the turnoment( The ball; the parent get together..ect...) There was a whole group of activities that needed focus. And remember Quidditch was quarterly as were the events. It's not like regular schools where games are played each week for a period of time until the season ends. Quidditch is played throughout the year with the matches set up according to winning pairs. Besides it took almost an entire season to grow the maze, so where would they play. I know you can argue they play in the air, but the field is important.

The field is important... Especially if you drop the ball... If there was a maze there, then that would land you in some trouble to continue playing.

+Quote Post
imperio
post Jun 27 2009, 07:34 AM
Post #4

Newbie HP Fan

Member No.: 7,598

This may also be a reason.

Quiditch sometimes causes a lot of friction between the houses and maybe he thought it best if the students stick together and cheer on one in this case two students, and not aggravate other houses students.

I think it was in the interest of the champions to keep harmony between the houses.

+Quote Post
whitewolf
post Aug 7 2009, 12:17 PM
Post #5

HP Fan

After re-reading the POA,(yes, I'm still addicted), another thought occurred concerning this subject. Cancelling Quidditch was logical because you would have had to add the visiting teams to the schedule. Scheduling the play between the four Hogwarts teams plus the Durmstrang and Beauxbatons teams would have crowded the year. Remember Quidditch and the Gobblet events were quarterly events. To try and hold them both would be too much even for the wizards.
Also, I'm have to check on Fluer, but Harry, Cedric and Victor were all Seekers for their teams. They probably could have been replaced, but they were such key players I doubt if the teams would have been happy doing without them.

+Quote Post
emmaleepotter13
post Aug 10 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,191

Wouldnt they have not had quidditch because most of the students would be paying more attention to the triwizard tournament?

+Quote Post
whitewolf
post Aug 11 2009, 10:35 AM
Post #7

HP Fan

QUOTE (emmaleepotter13 @ Aug 10 2009, 07:09 PM) *
Wouldnt they have not had quidditch because most of the students would be paying more attention to the triwizard tournament?

The most logical reason is that the logistics of pulling off both in the same year would have proved problematical.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2014 - 09:17 pm