IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

This translator is for your use, but if you use it, please realize that you must reply to messages in English. Thanks and enjoy!
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Differences in books to movie
Heart of Gold
post Jul 15 2009, 08:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,741

First, I understand and recognize (and have since I was a young teen) that books and movies are different media interpretations, so I do not compare them critically.

I just read a CNN review of HBP, (see here: http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/...nce/index.html) and it mentions on major character who is missing from the movie. Who is it?

I have tickets for the 7pm show tonight, so I will find out soon enough, but I would be interested to know who so I may ponder it before I see the movie.....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Grubbly-Plank
post Jul 15 2009, 02:38 PM
Post #2

HP Fan

Member No.: 7,313

Well just back from seeing HBP & quite frankly, it was brilliant, nothing like the book of course, but the special effects are fantastic. When Harry & DD apparate, I certainly felt more than a little, uumm, disorientated would be a good word. A really good film to see whether you like HP or not. Will see it again towards the end of it's run (end of Sept beginning of Oct I think)

+Quote Post
Fizzing_Whizzbee
post Jul 15 2009, 11:57 PM
Post #3

Average HP Fan

Member No.: 110

I'll give a brief review of the movie.

I have to say that overall I thought it was a brilliant movie. Visually stunning in terms of its effects and good sound. For the most part I am perfectly willing to accept the creative liberties taken with the film, but there are a few minor and not so minor points I want to pint out.

The Good:
I thought the beginning with the showing of the destruction of the bridge and us Muggles starting to take notice something is amiss was well done. I also thought the brief scene of Ollivander being kidnapped was good.

I thought the portrayal of Lavender and her obsession with Ron was brilliantly portrayed. I felt as nauseated as Hermione did just by watching the scenes.

I also thought that the scene with Snape, Bellatrix, and Narcissa was well done.

I found humor in Ginny, Hermione, Ron and Mrs. Weasely wondering where Harry was in the house since his stuff had suddenly shown up.

Lastly, while it took a little time to grow on me, I thought the way Harry was shown being under the effects of Felix Felicous was also done well.

Again, there are many good parts, just want to point a few so that others can list there favorites as well and not overlap parts to much.

The Bad:
While there were some very visually stunning scenes, I thought the first 30 minutes or so were kind of disjointed. Just some things that needed to be done, but not really much of a transition to the next scene. Once they got to Hogwarts, then things became more flowing.

I guess it can be said that its to portray the danger that everyone is in, but the destruction of the Burrow just didn't seem overly necessary.

Finally, while the romantic sub-plots in the books are nice, I thought perhaps maybe there were out there a bit to much. Lavender and Ron is supposed to be over the top. With Ginny, Harry, and Hermione though, I thought the interaction for those three was a bit more than needed.

The I-Can't-Believe-That-Got-Left-Out:
Naturally there are plenty of things that were left out in order to trim the movie down to a reasonable time length. I miss the Dursleys, Dobby and Kreacher of course, but I can also accept them not being included. The biggest thing I take issue with is treatment of the Horcruxes and Voldemort's past.

By the end of the movie we know that the trio is determined to start their search for the Horcruxes, but it was not mentioned at all what they might be (ie Hufflepuff's Cup, Nagini, something of Ravenclaw's). We just know that the ring and the diary are destroyed and the locket is a fake. I'll be interested to see how they determine what objects they need to search for in final two movies.

Again, don't get me wrong, it was an excellent movie on the whole and my complaints are minor grievances that most fans probably will have. But I do think more should have been said about the Horcruxes.

If you haven't seen it yet...WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!?!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

If you have seen it, then let's hear your reviews. The boards have been dead for far to long. Take the opportunity to critque the film and get some conversation hopping once again.

This post has been edited by Fizzing_Whizzbee: Jul 16 2009, 12:35 PM

+Quote Post
whitewolf
post Jul 16 2009, 12:17 PM
Post #4

HP Fan

Member No.: 7,971

I'm going this weekend. Most of the theaters here are sold out !!!LOL I'm going to approach this as the first in a trilogy based on the last three novels of the series. Kinda like I did when Lord of the Rings came out. I didn't dislike the first movie, but I felt it lacked something. I saw the second one and realized it was the story of the Hobbies that was missing. It got better once I understood what I was suppose to be seeing, as oppossed to what I remembered from the books. The problem might be time. It was years between the time I saw Lord of the Rings and read it. I'm still in my reading thoes of the Harry books. (No I haven't been able to totally put them away yet! ) My family is considering an intervention! ROFL

+Quote Post
Grubbly-Plank
post Jul 16 2009, 12:45 PM
Post #5

HP Fan

Member No.: 7,313

You have to look at it as a film Whitewolf, if you do you might enjoy it more. The special effects are brilliant, especially when the apparate, & the humour with the 'kids' is great. Hubby's definitely not a HP person - he enjoyed the film but didn't understand what they were talking about, he thought they were talking in a foreign language!! ROFL (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Jul 16 2009, 04:36 PM
Post #6

Greatest HP Fan That Ever Lived

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Fizzing_Whizzbee @ Jul 16 2009, 12:57 AM) *
I'll give a brief review of the movie.

I have to say that overall I thought it was a brilliant movie. Visually stunning in terms of its effects and good sound. For the most part I am perfectly willing to accept the creative liberties taken with the film, but there are a few minor and not so minor points I want to pint out.

The Good:
I thought the beginning with the showing of the destruction of the bridge and us Muggles starting to take notice something is amiss was well done. I also thought the brief scene of Ollivander being kidnapped was good.

I thought the portrayal of Lavender and her obsession with Ron was brilliantly portrayed. I felt as nauseated as Hermione did just by watching the scenes.

I also thought that the scene with Snape, Bellatrix, and Narcissa was well done.

I found humor in Ginny, Hermione, Ron and Mrs. Weasely wondering where Harry was in the house since his stuff had suddenly shown up.

Lastly, while it took a little time to grow on me, I thought the way Harry was shown being under the effects of Felix Felicous was also done well.

Again, there are many good parts, just want to point a few so that others can list there favorites as well and not overlap parts to much.

The Bad:
While there were some very visually stunning scenes, I thought the first 30 minutes or so were kind of disjointed. Just some things that needed to be done, but not really much of a transition to the next scene. Once they got to Hogwarts, then things became more flowing.

I guess it can be said that its to portray the danger that everyone is in, but the destruction of the Burrow just didn't seem overly necessary.

Finally, while the romantic sub-plots in the books are nice, I thought perhaps maybe there were out there a bit to much. Lavender and Ron is supposed to be over the top. With Ginny, Harry, and Hermione though, I thought the interaction for those three was a bit more than needed.

The I-Can't-Believe-That-Got-Left-Out:
Naturally there are plenty of things that were left out in order to trim the movie down to a reasonable time length. I miss the Dursleys, Dobby and Kreacher of course, but I can also accept them not being included. The biggest thing I take issue with is treatment of the Horcruxes and Voldemort's past.

By the end of the movie we know that the trio is determined to start their search for the Horcruxes, but it was not mentioned at all what they might be (ie Hufflepuff's Cup, Nagini, something of Ravenclaw's). We just know that the ring and the diary are destroyed and the locket is a fake. I'll be interested to see how they determine what objects they need to search for in final two movies.

Again, don't get me wrong, it was an excellent movie on the whole and my complaints are minor grievances that most fans probably will have. But I do think more should have been said about the Horcruxes.

If you haven't seen it yet...WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!?!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

If you have seen it, then let's hear your reviews. The boards have been dead for far to long. Take the opportunity to critque the film and get some conversation hopping once again.

It's really funny how I agree with your Good, Bad, and The I can't believe that got left out. Except for, like you said, the first 30 minutes being disjointed, the way they put things together was brilliant. I agree that they were a bit over the top with the Lavender and Ron scenes. That point was made almost right away from when Lavender snogged him, and a couple of scenes would have been enough, but I guess they were making it fun for the kids... I guess. But by omitting some of the overplayed scenes with them they could have.....

1. Did more with the beginning and brought that together a tad, though I thought in the book it was way too long to begin with. or
2. Like you said the horcruxes could have been played about more.

Also add to your list of I can't believe they left that out.... They didn't mention why Snape was called the HBP! So there you go....

+Quote Post
Harry's-Girl
post Jul 17 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 4,225

I just went to see it today, and I thought it was a great movie... but it was missing the funeral for Dumbledore and that left me kind of empty. There was no closure with Dumbledore's death like there was in the book.

+Quote Post
Fizzing_Whizzbee
post Jul 17 2009, 10:49 PM
Post #8

Average HP Fan

QUOTE (Harry's-Girl @ Jul 18 2009, 12:22 AM) *
I just went to see it today, and I thought it was a great movie... but it was missing the funeral for Dumbledore and that left me kind of empty. There was no closure with Dumbledore's death like there was in the book.

That really didn't bother me any. I thought the way that the funeral was replaced with the wand lighting to dispell the Dark Mark was a good idea. The important thing was that Fawkes was shown flying away. That was good symbolism and enough closure for me.

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Jul 18 2009, 01:35 AM
Post #9

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 5,046

URGH yes this frustrated me alot. I'm really wondering how they are going to explain this in the next movie/s.

Also with the destruction of the burrow, I wish they'd dealt with it afterwards. It was destroyed and that was about all we heard of, we didn't hear Ron mention it again at Hogwarts....it seemed like they all just forgot it happened! And I'm wondering where the family is living now (surely it must be Shell Cottage...without Bill and Fleur it seems like a good way of including it in the movie)

The one thing that annoyed me with this movie and obviously people are going to disagree so I'll make it clear this is just my opinion. I found it too humouress. I'm not saying the jokes werent funny I just felt they tried a little too hard to make it funny and it ended up losing the solemn atmosphere created in the book with the return of Voldemort. I didn't feel afraid at Voldemort's return as much as I should have.

Loved the opening scene at Diagon Alley though! Really really well done!

I did enjoy the movie but it wasn't my favourite. I thought OOTP had a much better balance (between everything humour/emotion light/dark).

+Quote Post
Lilysowl
post Jul 18 2009, 08:12 PM
Post #10

HP Fan

Group: News Posters
Member No.: 6,503

We received an email from a fan who shared a touching experience while watching the film. Since I could not think of a way to compose it as a news post with a spoiler alert, I thought I would share it here in the Forums because I was very touched by it:

When I saw the HBP movie at the Dunes Theater in Zion, Illinois - when the movie characters raised their lighted wands in memory of the deceased Dumbledore, many in the audience raised their lighted cell phones in a similar manner. It was cool and kind of touching to see.

+Quote Post
whitewolf
post Jul 19 2009, 10:00 AM
Post #11

HP Fan

That would have been a sight and a comfort to behold. It also underlines my ambiguity about the movie. The wand scene was one of the best alternative ideas in the movie and worked its magic for those who wished to see a sembalance of the story we knew.

The other good alternatives: Hermione and Harry commiserating over the Weasly sibliings; everything Ginny (I love what they did with her); the humanization of Draco Malfory (I actually felt sorry for him); the Felix scenes(Daniel was soooo funny!) and then it was so touching between Harry and Slughorn in the part about Lily. (That may haven been the best written and excuted scene in the whole movie).

My problem with the movies has always been the issue of context and continuity. Small details mean a lot and if you leave the wrong one out you have to change course (i.e. Sirius' mirror, Dobie's entire role as a free elf, Bill and Percy Weasley's relationship to Harry, just to name a few)
Then you make huge changes (burning Burrows was a stragtegic move; don't like but understand it); Remus and Tonks in full relationship mode (also understandable); the venture of the "kiss" (was a let down, but still good). While these things may work for the movie they change the basic story itself.

The scene of the "killing of Dumberdore" killed this movie for me. The way it was done assassinated the character of Harry Potter, himself. There was a reason JK wrote that scene the way she did, and this alternative changed that reason. This was the foundation of who Harry was to become; learning the lessons of there are things that you are powerless to change, trust must sometimes be blind and patient when validation is not always immediate and that how and when a sacrifice is made is as important as the sacrifice itself. Yes all this was in the scene in the book, but not in the one in the movie, and true Harry Potter fans know why!!

For those who wish to see the movie go! It's not a bad movie. The cast is excellent, the effects done very well and not all the alternatives were bad ones. I will be adding this one to my collection, so go and enjoy!

This post has been edited by whitewolf: Jul 19 2009, 10:18 AM

+Quote Post
Lilysowl
post Jul 19 2009, 11:36 AM
Post #12

HP Fan

Group: News Posters
Member No.: 6,503

I can understand your feelings, Whitewolf, because I thought some things went a bit too fast. However, Alan Rickman, Tom Felton, and Michael Gambon made that scene for me. Rickman raised my awareness of how Snape actually saved Draco's life in that scene, aside from honoring the unbreakable vow. When I first read it in the book, I had a vague feeling that Dumbledore was begging Snape to kill him to save a young soul. I was too shocked to realize it was to save Malfoy's life as well.

+Quote Post
whitewolf
post Jul 19 2009, 02:18 PM
Post #13

HP Fan

QUOTE (Lilysowl @ Jul 19 2009, 12:36 PM) *
I can understand your feelings, Whitewolf, because I thought some things went a bit too fast. However, Alan Rickman, Tom Felton, and Michael Gambon made that scene for me. Rickman raised my awareness of how Snape actually saved Draco's life in that scene, aside from honoring the unbreakable vow. When I first read it in the book, I had a vague feeling that Dumbledore was begging Snape to kill him to save a young soul. I was too shocked to realize it was to save Malfoy's life as well.

Exactly! From that perspective (which was part of the orginal story) that was exactly what both Snape AND Dumberdore were doing! If the augument between them had played better or more fully you could have seen that there was something up! Yet as it stands all you saw was a duplious Snape and a happless Dumberdore! While it was not clear what was going on in the either(book or movie) at that point, it was clear that the two older men had the situation under their control and the goal was to spare the two young men! In dafference to those who have not seen the movie: I'll just say to have Harry react as he did in that scene took the foundation of that away. There was also parts of the final scene that bother me. In fact I think I better not think on this again because for every good thing I try to like I find two I didn't. (sad)

+Quote Post
Fizzing_Whizzbee
post Jul 19 2009, 02:33 PM
Post #14

Average HP Fan

This is part of the fun I think.

In general, each of us are going to love the movies just as we love the books.

What's interesting, is to hear everyone's opinions on what small thing(s) they liked or disliked in the movies. Those things vary from person to person. Considering how many members we have, I finid it extremely interesting to hear everyone's opinions no the movies.

It can be potentially as much fun to debate the changes, additions, and omissions to the movies as it was to theorize about the books.

So keep the reviews comming, and keep the discussion going.

+Quote Post
Perseus_Evans
post Jul 20 2009, 12:45 PM
Post #15

Big HP Fan

Member No.: 704

I agree that the fact that Harry wasn't under the cloak nor under a spell was disappointing, but overall, I think they had to do it differently from a movie standpoint. There was just too much internal perspective to that scene to communicate what happened there.

I was very surprised as FW and others were too, that they didn't at least express the theories on what the remaining horcruxes might be, but I have a pretty good idea how they're going to get around it... The scene where Harry picked up the neutralized Ring horcrux tells us a bit. Harry had little flashes upon touching it, which to me suggests that the search for the remaining horcruxes may involve using Harry as a horcrux-detector (think Geiger-counter). To me, that seems the only way that Harry could possibly recognize the rest, especially the Cup (having no Hepzibah scene).

Without that scene though, Harry won't recognize the real locket either... but since there's no Mundungus in the movies, then Kreacher will probably have it and we'll have no "storming the ministry" scene in 7 or 7a.

All in all though, I still think they've done a fantastic job, picking the best pieces out to keep the big plot points alive. Still the extra lovey dovey scenes were a bit more than needed.

So here's the question though... Does Bella end up the Muggle studies teacher? Seems like some momentum toward that or maybe even her as the DADA teacher...

+Quote Post
whitewolf
post Jul 20 2009, 01:33 PM
Post #16

HP Fan

So here's the question though... Does Bella end up the Muggle studies teacher? Seems like some momentum toward that or maybe even her as the DADA teacher...

Bella in a room full of children! Are you mad!! LOL No. She is more like the Mad Queen on throne when the King's away. Controlling the children is a task for minons.

I agree with your assessment of the horcrux search. The only way for them to go is to make Harry's sensetivty to all things Voldermort work like a detector.
They also may have to drop the house elfves all together, but that's just a speculation. I like the relationship stories: particularly the Harry/Hermione one. I loved the established the nature of their bond. I also liked that they let the young ladies take the led in the relationship stories. I've always like that gender was never the usual in this world.

Fly Phoenix Fly!!!

+Quote Post
Fizzing_Whizzbee
post Jul 20 2009, 02:32 PM
Post #17

Average HP Fan

If I remember correctly, Jo insisted that Kreacher be put into the "Order" film because he was important later on.

If that is correct, then I certainly expect to see him in the final movie. While I don't think we can expect to see a horde of charging house elves in the final battle (even though would be really cool), I do think we can expect Kreacher to have a huge role.

Initially I had said I wasn't sure how the trio would figure out which items they need to look for in order to destroy the Horcruxes. After giving it some thought though, I think there is a rather simple solution.

On the assumption that Kreacher does appear in the final film(s) and the trio talk to him about the locket and Regulus, I think it would be simple to say that Regulus also found out about the other Horcruxes as well and what they were. Nevermind how he found out, that wouln't be essential to the story. So long as he knows what they are. Now finding the hiding places would still be left up to the trio, but at least they would know what they are after.

That's just my best guess though.

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Jul 20 2009, 06:06 PM
Post #18

Perseus nice to see you back!

I've been not in the mood of talking about the movie, but hopefully this weekend with everyone starting to post I'll get up the gumption.

+Quote Post
whitewolf
post Jul 22 2009, 12:32 PM
Post #19

HP Fan

QUOTE (baty4potter @ Jul 20 2009, 07:06 PM) *
Perseus nice to see you back!

I've been not in the mood of talking about the movie, but hopefully this weekend with everyone starting to post I'll get up the gumption.

You sound like you could use the "Akron Treatment" (re: movie Harvey with James Steward: which shows how old I am!!)LOL Two weeks of being petted on the head and a pitcher of beer! There, There.

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Jul 22 2009, 04:48 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (whitewolf @ Jul 22 2009, 01:32 PM) *
You sound like you could use the "Akron Treatment" (re: movie Harvey with James Steward: which shows how old I am!!)LOL Two weeks of being petted on the head and a pitcher of beer! There, There.

LOL, I could go along with that! Pass the pitcher of beer please!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 12:42 am