IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

This translator is for your use, but if you use it, please realize that you must reply to messages in English. Thanks and enjoy!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Good Slytherins
whitewolf
post Jan 3 2010, 12:38 PM
Post #1

HP Fan

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,971

How many Slytherins can name that did what was "right rather than what was easy" other than Snape.
Name them and what they did.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
martinmiggs101
post Jan 18 2010, 08:14 PM
Post #2

HP Fan

Member No.: 4,299

It has been a while but couldn't resist!

Regulus Black - the whole taking of the locket thing was pretty decent of him!

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Jan 19 2010, 06:39 AM
Post #3

Greatest HP Fan That Ever Lived

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (martinmiggs101 @ Jan 18 2010, 09:14 PM) *
It has been a while but couldn't resist!

Regulus Black - the whole taking of the locket thing was pretty decent of him!

Yes it was! Too bad he wasn't able to stick around.

+Quote Post
Bellatrix
post Jan 19 2010, 08:44 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,230

Horace Slughorn...giving Harry that important memory

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Jan 27 2010, 06:09 AM
Post #5

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 5,046

How many Slytherins can name that did what was "right rather than what was easy" other than Snape.

Haha well honestly I don't think Snape did what was right, because it was right. He felt terribly guilty after loseing Lilly, I would think it was easier for him to live with himself if he was on the 'right side'. And lets keep in mind that if you mean going to DD in the first place to try to save Lilly, that wasn't easy but it was selfish. And he didn't give a toss about James or Harry (or anyone he or Voldemort killed) so I wouldn't say that was the 'right thing' either.

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Jan 27 2010, 07:05 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (the_prisoner_of_azkaban @ Jan 27 2010, 07:09 AM) *
Haha well honestly I don't think Snape did what was right, because it was right. He felt terribly guilty after loseing Lilly, I would think it was easier for him to live with himself if he was on the 'right side'. And lets keep in mind that if you mean going to DD in the first place to try to save Lilly, that wasn't easy but it was selfish. And he didn't give a toss about James or Harry (or anyone he or Voldemort killed) so I wouldn't say that was the 'right thing' either.

I've got to agree with you on that. Snape was for Snape, and I don't care if Harry named one of the kids after him. Snape did what was best for himself, and didn't give a flitter about Harry!

+Quote Post
Bellatrix
post Jan 30 2010, 02:14 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (baty4potter @ Jan 28 2010, 12:05 AM) *
I've got to agree with you on that. Snape was for Snape, and I don't care if Harry named one of the kids after him. Snape did what was best for himself, and didn't give a flitter about Harry!

Well actually, Snape did the right thing at the end. After Voldemort killed lily and james, he felt terrible remorse. AS a way of making it up to her (because he loved her so much), he did what he could to protect Harry.
Yes, I agree he was selfish to ask Voldemort to protect her and kill harry and James, but people are selfish- especially when they want something. For him, it was a way to get lily back.
Dumbledore always said that voldemort could get his soul back by remorse and love. Shouldn't the same apply for Snape or are we going to condemn him forever?

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Jan 31 2010, 09:01 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (Bellatrix @ Jan 30 2010, 03:14 AM) *
Well actually, Snape did the right thing at the end. After Voldemort killed lily and james, he felt terrible remorse. AS a way of making it up to her (because he loved her so much), he did what he could to protect Harry.
Yes, I agree he was selfish to ask Voldemort to protect her and kill harry and James, but people are selfish- especially when they want something. For him, it was a way to get lily back.
Dumbledore always said that voldemort could get his soul back by remorse and love. Shouldn't the same apply for Snape or are we going to condemn him forever?

Cringes!!! I don't think Snape felt remorse one bit. OK, maybe a tad because Lily was killed, but that'd be it. And, I truly feel that DD had to do with Snape protecting Harry. Think about it, Snape hated James, and Harry looked like James, ok except for the eyes, so he's protecting Harry because of remorse, and yet treating Harry like poo under his shoes? Doesn't hold with me. And I don't care if Harry named one of his kids after Snape. ;~)

Am *I* condemning Snape forever? YEPPERS! ROFL!!! {{{smiling}}} I love to hate Snape; such a fantastic character!

+Quote Post
Bellatrix
post Feb 1 2010, 06:19 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (baty4potter @ Feb 1 2010, 02:01 AM) *
Cringes!!! I don't think Snape felt remorse one bit. OK, maybe a tad because Lily was killed, but that'd be it. And, I truly feel that DD had to do with Snape protecting Harry. Think about it, Snape hated James, and Harry looked like James, ok except for the eyes, so he's protecting Harry because of remorse, and yet treating Harry like poo under his shoes? Doesn't hold with me. And I don't care if Harry named one of his kids after Snape. ;~)

Am *I* condemning Snape forever? YEPPERS! ROFL!!! {{{smiling}}} I love to hate Snape; such a fantastic character!

I guess in his eyes, he was doing enough by looking after harry (that is, by keeping him alive). Noone said anything about being nice to him in class. Treating harry like poo was obviously a way to get revenge on james and sirius (And they were big jerks to snape for no reason!)

You're not being fair Baty! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I guess I feel sorry for the bloke. I'm a big sucker for unrequited love....

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Feb 1 2010, 06:59 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Bellatrix @ Feb 1 2010, 07:19 AM) *
I guess in his eyes, he was doing enough by looking after harry (that is, by keeping him alive). Noone said anything about being nice to him in class. Treating harry like poo was obviously a way to get revenge on james and sirius (And they were big jerks to snape for no reason!)

You're not being fair Baty! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I guess I feel sorry for the bloke. I'm a big sucker for unrequited love....

Oh you made me laugh on that one!! {{{grinning}}}

I totally agree about James and Sirius being jerks to Snape, and I always wondered why Lily married James. I guess that's another topic to be bandied around. ;~)

+Quote Post
Grubbly-Plank
post Feb 1 2010, 05:01 PM
Post #11

HP Fan

Member No.: 7,313

My poor 'Snape a doodles' what are the nasty people saying about you!!! ROFLM*&otherbitsO!!! {{{big grin}}} (one for you there baty) LOL xx

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Feb 1 2010, 06:12 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (Grubbly-Plank @ Feb 1 2010, 06:01 PM) *
My poor 'Snape a doodles' what are the nasty people saying about you!!! ROFLM*&otherbitsO!!! {{{big grin}}} (one for you there baty) LOL xx

I should have known I'd get your two pence worth in this. LOL Well he (or should I say Rickman) is sexy in his own right. {{{grinning}}}

+Quote Post
Grubbly-Plank
post Feb 2 2010, 04:41 AM
Post #13

HP Fan

Member No.: 7,313

QUOTE (baty4potter @ Feb 2 2010, 12:12 AM) *
I should have known I'd get your two pence worth in this. LOL Well he (or should I say Rickman) is sexy in his own right. {{{grinning}}}

Mmmmm {{{big grin}}}

+Quote Post
Bellatrix
post Feb 4 2010, 07:44 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (baty4potter @ Feb 1 2010, 11:59 PM) *
I totally agree about James and Sirius being jerks to Snape, and I always wondered why Lily married James. I guess that's another topic to be bandied around. ;~)

Good idea Baty. I'll start a topic on that..I couldn't seem to find one!

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Feb 4 2010, 07:26 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Bellatrix @ Feb 4 2010, 08:44 AM) *
Good idea Baty. I'll start a topic on that..I couldn't seem to find one!

Ok, I replied to the topic before seeing this. Glad you did! :~)

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Feb 5 2010, 05:25 AM
Post #16

Huge HP Fan

Yes, I agree he was selfish to ask Voldemort to protect her and kill harry and James, but people are selfish- especially when they want something. For him, it was a way to get lily back

Well I guess even then it begs the question; If Snape did the 'right thing' does that make him a 'good Slytherin"? In my eyes it certainly doesn't make him a good person, or a good slytherin but it doesnt make him 'necersarily' an evil one. Hmm not sure how much sense that made so I'm going to steal a phrase from a dear old friend of mine and leave this with....

"The world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters" (but if it was Snape would be a Death Eater)

+Quote Post
Bellatrix
post Feb 5 2010, 09:29 AM
Post #17

QUOTE (the_prisoner_of_azkaban @ Feb 5 2010, 10:25 PM) *
Well I guess even then it begs the question; If Snape did the 'right thing' does that make him a 'good Slytherin"? In my eyes it certainly doesn't make him a good person, or a good slytherin but it doesnt make him 'necersarily' an evil one. Hmm not sure how much sense that made so I'm going to steal a phrase from a dear old friend of mine and leave this with....

"The world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters" (but if it was Snape would be a Death Eater)

I guess that's the problem- what's your definition of a 'good person'? I am probably right in saying it's different to mine. If snape is a death eater, then so is regulas black, yet people seem to have forgiven him easily enough. The only difference is that regulas didn't live an extra 15 years, so we have no idea whether he'd have treated Harry, the mud bloods or blood traitors any nicer.

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Feb 5 2010, 08:35 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Bellatrix @ Feb 5 2010, 10:29 AM) *
I guess that's the problem- what's your definition of a 'good person'? I am probably right in saying it's different to mine. If snape is a death eater, then so is regulas black, yet people seem to have forgiven him easily enough. The only difference is that regulas didn't live an extra 15 years, so we have no idea whether he'd have treated Harry, the mud bloods or blood traitors any nicer.

I don't think the question of death eater is really in question, well at least at this point in time, and I'm not saying that being a death eater wasn't bad, but Regulas did get out of it since he wasn't happy with what was going on. Would Regulas have treated others like Snape did? We'll never know since Regulas' story was never really brought out.

What I basically am getting at is he treated Harry, terrible, and I don't care how bad James treated Snape, Harry was innocent of the fact, and Snape was supposed to be the adult. Now the question is... Did Snape do it as a front to keep the death eaters, and most importantly Voldemort off balance? That is the question that needs to be asked.

+Quote Post
Bellatrix
post Feb 6 2010, 01:32 AM
Post #19

QUOTE (baty4potter @ Feb 6 2010, 01:35 PM) *
Now the question is... Did Snape do it as a front to keep the death eaters, and most importantly Voldemort off balance? That is the question that needs to be asked.

Unfortunately, the books were told from Harry's point of view. So we'll never really know what Snape's intentions were. But, in the final year when Harry was off looking for horcruxes, there was an incident were Ginny and Neville tried to steal Gryfindor's sword. Snape looked out for them and sent them to Hagrid for detention, rather than the to the Callows.

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Feb 20 2010, 09:46 PM
Post #20

Huge HP Fan

don't think the question of death eater is really in question, well at least at this point in time, and I'm not saying that being a death eater wasn't bad, but Regulas did get out of it since he wasn't happy with what was going on. Would Regulas have treated others like Snape did? We'll never know since Regulas' story was never really brought out.

What I basically am getting at is he treated Harry, terrible, and I don't care how bad James treated Snape, Harry was innocent of the fact, and Snape was supposed to be the adult. Now the question is... Did Snape do it as a front to keep the death eaters, and most importantly Voldemort off balance? That is the question that needs to be asked

Hehe Baty, I was thinking along the same lines. Although I don't think we can say the Harry/Snape animosity was a front. I mean Snape was also horrible to Neville too and I'm yet to hear a half decent reason for that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
Unfortunately, the books were told from Harry's point of view. So we'll never really know what Snape's intentions were. But, in the final year when Harry was off looking for horcruxes, there was an incident were Ginny and Neville tried to steal Gryfindor's sword. Snape looked out for them and sent them to Hagrid for detention, rather than the to the Callows.

This is a good point Bellatrix. I'd only add that I think Snape would have drawn a line at the use of unforgivable curses on children of the Order, when they already hated him so much after DD, but also that by sending them to Hagrid Snape had shown some kindness but he probably still treated both Ginny and Neville like crud. Also I think DD's portrait might have helped convince him to send them to Hagrid (and it probably even suggested it!), but I guess we may never know.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 04:30 pm