IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

This translator is for your use, but if you use it, please realize that you must reply to messages in English. Thanks and enjoy!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Harry and Ginny/Harry Hermione
whitewolf
post Jan 23 2010, 12:32 AM
Post #1

HP Fan

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,971

This is an A./B
A> Do you think that if Harry had saved Hermione in the Chamber of Secrets instead of Ginny, thier relationship would be different?
B> Do you think that incident had any effect on Harry and Ginny developing a relationship?

A, I believe that Hermione was amost "too" close to Harry to develop a romantic relationship with him. Thier closeness allowed for a fiedial relationship to develop. Also, she did not seem to have the same "OOOOh, It's Harry Potter!" reaction that the rest of the world had when she met him. There was also the thing about Ron. I think on some level she always liked Ron; (and I know you might think this is strange) but that is why she could always pointed out his imperfections, because she assumed his perfections. He after all was a pureblood wizard, and maybe she saw him as an example of the status quo. You have to admit some of her reactions to him were over the top and resembled some one faced with the disappointed truth of a fantasy. With Harry she was more of a helper and a guide, and she also like Harry, saw herself as an extension of Ron.

B. Yes and No. I believe for Ginny if solidified her hero image of Harry. I mean she grew up hearing about the great Harry Potter, and there she was being saved by him. She also became a co-victim of Voldy's, so that gave them somethng in commom. But it also gave her the incentive to become stronger, to assert herself, and to understand that the last thing Harry needed was another "fangirl" hanging on him.
Having said that, I think that she and he grew together like Ron and Hermione with enough familliarity to connect, but enough distance that a romantic relationship could develop.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Jan 27 2010, 05:58 AM
Post #2

Huge HP Fan

Member No.: 5,046

There was also the thing about Ron. I think on some level she always liked Ron

I think from book one it was pretty clear where JKR was going with the trio relationships. The way they were almost 'oversensitive' to each other even in the early books seemed to show to me that it was more than just a friendship.

She also became a co-victim of Voldy's, so that gave them somethng in commom. But it also gave her the incentive to become stronger, to assert herself, and to understand that the last thing Harry needed was another "fangirl" hanging on him.

It was definately a turning point in Ginny's own character development and I guess when you look at it that way it inevitably would have an impact on her future relations (like you said she became more assertive etc.). Although I'm curious, I kind of think that it may not necersarily be the fact that Harry himself saved her but just the situation in general. If say Hermione had saved the day in the end, Ginney would still retain that 'victim of Voldemort' commonality with Harry. Having said that going through something like a near death experiance with someone would impact on your relationship with them (like the Hermione/Ron/Harry + Troll incident) and probably contributed to Ginny being less shy around Harry. Sorry if that all seemed a bit muddled, I guess I'm just thinking about it as I go.

+Quote Post
whitewolf
post Jan 27 2010, 01:42 PM
Post #3

HP Fan

Member No.: 7,971

I think that my view is that it connected them in a way that it did not connect him (Harry) to any other person. To a lot of people, especially those in his generation, Voldermort was a "bogeyman" of a sort, and not really real. His shadow was there, but in substance he was not tangible. To Harry and Ginny he was tangible.
While I agree that the factor of the experience would have been the same no matter who saved Ginny, I still believe that the common understanding of the reality of Voldermort placed Ginny in a place in Harry's life that was undeniably unique.

If he had saved Hermione, her uderstanding of Voldermort, might have made her less skeptical when Harry said he saw or heard things. While she supported his efforts in a lot of ways, she had a rational approach that was sometines hindering, as much as it was helpful. I think if Voldermort had taken her instead of Ginny she would have had a different approah to the whole process, and I would have given her the unique relationship that Harry shared with Ginny. What I wonder is would that connection have changed Harry's view of Hermione. As it stood Ron and Hermione were writen to be the balance of each other: She was reason and he was rally. Hermione's closeness to Harry grew I believe out of thier both being the different ones in this world. The Weasleys as a whole was a great example of what was good about this world and to these two outsiders they made it look like a good place to live if you could get rid to that pesty dark lord, so it was a natural that both would end of Weasleys.

I think there are some who cannot understand Harry's choosing Ginny when Hermione was so close, and other than this moment in the chamber, they appeared to have little or no real connection. I submit that this very connection is what made Ginny become the kind of witch that coul both appeal to Harry as a man and Harry the hero: not because he saved her, but she understood where the heroism was coming from and what he was truly fighting.
As for Hermione, her relationship with him seem to grow out to the kinship that makes sibling who like each have. My sister and I related by blood, but aside from that we would still be friends. I think this is the kind of relationship that grew betwen them, especially since Harry himself, I think, was her and Ron as a whole.
I have to go do homework now...please continue to discuss; it helps me think. LOL

This post has been edited by whitewolf: Jan 27 2010, 01:43 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 10:56 pm