IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

This translator is for your use, but if you use it, please realize that you must reply to messages in English. Thanks and enjoy!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Deathly Hallows Part One Reviews, Tell us what you thought!
the_prisoner_of_...
post Nov 20 2010, 05:19 AM
Post #1

Huge HP Fan

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,046

Once again I pulled on my grey jumper and skirt, white blouse and tie (complete with the Gryffindor symbol) and set off to see the first session of HP.
(Obviously now is the time to stop reading this if you hadn't already seen it)

Firstly, I loved the way in which the film was opened. By showing Hermione changing her parents memories a somber, emotional tone was set with a sense of impending danger that continued through the film. One (minor) point I wasn't too keen of was the removal of the scene with Dudley and Harry though it was sort of eluded to. Harry returning to the cuboard under the stairs was a brilliant scene. The Polyjuice potion was a nice little burst of humour before the fight scene. I cannot tell you how many people in the cinema cried out "they're letting Hedwig live" when Harry let her go, only to have such dreams crushed when she flew back into the fight. I for one actually said "Don't Hedwig, fly away, don't go back" before bursting into tears. Now I don't say this often....and with no disrespect to JKR I actually preferred Hedwig's death in the movie. She died trying to save and protect Harry, rather then locked in the cage.

The scene with Harry and Ginny in the burrow HILARIOUS! George walking in and sticking the toothbrush in his ear was just pure comedy brilliance. Quite liked the wedding though seemed kind of silly for Harry to have not been disguised, anyone their could have betrayed him, which wasn't a risk you'd expect them to take right after Mundugus' betrayal. How stunning was Hermione in that red dress??

Loved the scene with Kreacher and Dobby, though I thought they should have paid more attention to Regulus' story, explained that he'd taken Kreacher along, and shown more of a shift in Kreacher's loyalty. The ministry scene was pretty good, I like the actors they chose however disliked that Harry didn't take Moody's eye off the door, that seemed out of character for him to just leave it there.

Ron's splinching scene was brilliantly acted by Emma Watson, I can't believe how much she's improved between HBP and this film. When Ron left it was heartbreaking, but not quite what I'd expected, still not sure about that scene will have to watch it again. The dancing scene between Harry and Hermione was beautiful, finding some kind of peace in the terrible situation they were in (albeit temporary peace). Was a bit worried where it was going and so thankful there was no Hermione and Harry kiss.

Godric's Hollow. Can I just say...so scary! Bagshot terrified me, absolutely. Would have liked to have seen the messages to Harry at the ruins of his old home. Plus no Voldemort finding Harry in Godric's Hollow...but I'm less fussed about that.

The doe seen was beautifully done as was the destruction of the horcrux. I was a bit ticked off one of my favourite lines was changed "Dumbledore must have known I'd leave" "No, he must have known you'd always want to come back" worked better in the book then Ron saying "Dumbledore must have known I'd have wanted to come back" in the film.

Loved a lot about the Manor scene. Particuarly the turmoil on Malfoy's face when asked to identify Harry, the torture of Hermione by Bellatrix was difficult to watch and you really felt Ron's pain when she screamed. LOVED Luna in this scene. Why was Warick Davis playing Griphook though?? That's just a little confusing.

Dobby's death was beautifully done and I did like that they ended the film with Voldemort securing the Elder Wand. I know it changes the order, but I think, given they decided to split the films it was appropriate to include the Hallow in this onw, considering they only found destroyed one Horcrux, otherwise the second one would be even more object heavy.

Harry still doesn't know what he's looking for with the other Horcrux's, interested to see how he finds out what they all are. DISLIKED that Peter didn't die. That's a massive plot hole right there. And if Lupin dies and Peter lives I think I might cry...again. Loved how they've set up the Malfoy's sympathetically, will make it easier to believe them saving Harry.

There is much much more to say, but I'm interested to hear what you all think (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Let's get these boards chatting again!!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Nov 20 2010, 07:57 AM
Post #2

Greatest HP Fan That Ever Lived

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I was going to start a review thread this morning then I saw yours. So glad you started it. I haven't seen it yet, but I heard my favorite part in the book was done very well. Oh yeah, it was with Hermione being tortured. I see it Monday and Tuesday. Will let you know what I think.

+Quote Post
imperio
post Nov 20 2010, 04:53 PM
Post #3

Newbie HP Fan

Member No.: 7,598

Oh my god, so glad theres going to be a bit mor life in the boards. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wizard.jpg)
I went to see it yesterday and it was AMAZING! definately my favourite film out of the all of the films. I thought it was also the most accurate nothing really notable was missed out like there was in the previous films, except for what POV has allready pointed out. Deathly Hallows was also my favourite book, so i was really hoping that the film would do it justice. And i honestly think in terms of the films this one was the true est representation we was ever going to get from the films, realisticaly there is a lot of editing that has to be done to the films but i think splitting it into two parts really allowed the producers/writer to do the film justice.

I came out of the cinema longing to see part 2 as this film really was amazing. It lived up to all expectations. Everything just seemed right all the places they go and stay are exactly how i imagined them and are perfectly represented in the films. Coming from england i think the places they go to i am really lucky to know what image she is trying to create when describing the woods and places they go and camp and the directors deserve credit for fullfilling my expectations.

The only negative and its one i was expecting really was there was no satisfying closure at the end of the film, allthough it is better than the directors fashioning in a made up ending for the film which i was haf expecting.

Breaking into the ministry scene was really well done, tiny minor was the lack of planning they showed whe breaking in as opposed to just showing the plan straight in action. But maybe it wouldn't have mad ethat good cinema to show the planning part. Thought the actors they chose were really good and the entire scene was brilliant overall.

like POV said the dancing scene was really good, uplifting and was one of them surreal moments to show there can be little glimpses of happines even in the turmoil. Was also glad that they didn't kiss and nothing happened between Harry and Hermione and there close relationship remained intact, i think their time away from Ron really showed Harry's and Hermiones unique love for each other without becoming weird.

The silver Doe scene was again exactly how i imagined it really and that is all iv ever asked for from the films is for them to fullfill my imaginations and thoughts about the film. And also when the Horcrux opened and became this massive powerfull explosiona and vision it really surpised and excited me.

Getting caught by the snatchers and the hole Malfoy Manor scene was unbeleivable and quite scary Hermione's screams and torture scene where as sinister as i expected.
Dobby's death oh my go, truly wasn't a dry eye in the cinema and was very special that the Film managed to recreate the emotion that comes across in the book, truly a touching scene i think the few people in the cinema who weren't tht big on Harry Potter i.e haven't read the books where affected by that scene and shows how the film has finally brought across some of the genuine emotion in the books.

Fianl issue with the film though is still the lack of information aout the horcruxes. In the book they are the main them and the reader has a bigger perspective of the importance and a bit more of a clue on the where abputs of the horcruxes and more history about them and Voldermort. In te film they are seen as a bit more of a mythical thing and seem furtheer away from them in the films than in the book.

Finally i think the directors/producers/writers deserve a massive pat on the back from everyone. I believe they'v had some critisism from fans previousy but on this film they deserve a huge congratulations for creating a great tone for the film and making an accurate representation of the books at last.

But looooved the film overall, definately the best film out of them all. And can not wait to see part 2 of the film. Never wanted to see anything more in my life. If you haven't seen it yet YOUR IN FOR A TREAT!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Can't wait for more people to see it and engage in more conversation about the fim and discuss more of the finer points about the film.

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Nov 20 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #4

Huge HP Fan

And i honestly think in terms of the films this one was the true est representation we was ever going to get from the films, realisticaly there is a lot of editing that has to be done to the films but i think splitting it into two parts really allowed the producers/writer to do the film justice.

Definately with you on this, though DH wasn't my favourite book, I think it has become my favourite movies, at least it is definately the cloesest to the books.

Fianl issue with the film though is still the lack of information aout the horcruxes. In the book they are the main them and the reader has a bigger perspective of the importance and a bit more of a clue on the where abputs of the horcruxes and more history about them and Voldermort. In te film they are seen as a bit more of a mythical thing and seem furtheer away from them in the films than in the book.

It's funny that in the books I always thought the hallows were sort of under explained and developed, or at least sorta rushed in at the end and yet with the movies I think they've done the opposite, covered the hallows really well but left us wondering about the horcruxs. I can't help but feel they are going to have to rush this story line in the second half.

There is so much left to fit into the next half, gringotts and the cup (which hasn't been explained), the diadem (also hasn't been explained), the fight scenes, the stone, snape's memories, king's cross, final battle. Alot of action so I hope they get the expository stuff right as well!

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Nov 21 2010, 08:38 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (the_prisoner_of_azkaban @ Nov 20 2010, 08:22 PM) *
There is so much left to fit into the next half, gringotts and the cup (which hasn't been explained), the diadem (also hasn't been explained), the fight scenes, the stone, snape's memories, king's cross, final battle. Alot of action so I hope they get the expository stuff right as well!

Whoa, you made me tired just thinking about all that needs to be explained. lol

+Quote Post
imperio
post Nov 21 2010, 10:41 AM
Post #6

Newbie HP Fan

Member No.: 7,598

Definatey, part two has lots to fit in and i just hope theres no rushing though things and skating over key issues from the book. If part one is anything to go by and a sign of things to come it has the potential to be absolutely mind blowing. Really hoping they do it justice.

+Quote Post
Fizzing_Whizzbee
post Nov 21 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #7

Average HP Fan

Member No.: 110

Ok. Here we go.

I went to watch the movie on an IMAX screen. I figured this is the last film (well not THE last of course, but you know what I mean), I might as well go for the full theatrical effect.

I could go on about every little scene, but I'll try to keep this relatively brief and jsut hit some of high points.

I loved the opening, though I do agree that I would have liked to see more of the Dursleys. It seems kind of pointless to show them at all for no more than they were shown.

The escape and battle scenes I thought was masterfully done. I particularly enjoyed the dialogue between the twins and Mad-Eye. Mad-Eye in particular had lines that I think better reflected the character better than what was in "Goblet" and "Phoenix".

I am not sure what I thought of the casting for Scrimgeour. He wasn't in the movie long so I understand not putting much effort into him, but I'm just not sure how to feel about him.

I think having Kreacher's story extended and a show of his allegiance change is something pretty much everyone would have liked.

I liked the ministry scene (particularly getting flushed and the at the end when Ron is kissing his 'wife'. The look on Emma's face was so full of jealous daggers it was funny). I do feel that leaving the eye in the door was something I would have liked changed.

I'm giving Rupert very high marks for his portrayal of Ron. Its hard to portray anger and jealousy and I think it was done extremely well.

Godric's Hollow was a little lacking. I think the support messages would have done a lot to enhance the scene. I do agree though that Bathilda was really good. I always had trouble imagining the snake coming out of her, and these scene really helped me get a visual of it for the first time.

The destruction of the Horcrux. It made me jump when that "thing" came out. Was certainly more enhanced than what is described in the book. I am certainly not complaining here, but I am surprised at the nudeness of the Harry and Hermione images from the Horcrux.

I would have liked to have seen more in the scene at Luna's house. Particularly Luna's room with the gold 'friends' chain. I also thought the part where the Death Eaters shown up was done oddly. I felt it kind of left the audience hanging as to the fate of Xenophilius. The anmiatino for the story though was really good. Creepy, but good.

Malfoy Manor was done well from the outside. The inside I thought looked somewhat barren. Now I know that the Malfoys have fallen on hard time but I still thought their home was rather cold, lifeless, and lacking any signs of previous opulence. Hermione's torture however was well done. I absoutely loved Dobby's line before his death. Has the entire audience chuckling. "Didn't mean to kill, just hurt, or possibly maim." Classic.

I agree with a previous post in saying that even though the finding of the wand by Voledmort was out of order, it was moved around to where it fit. It's a perfect tone setter for the second half.

Now, what I am eager to see in the second half when it comes out are the fllowing:
-How the figure out what the remaining Horcruxes are.
-How Lupin and Pettigrew die (or survive).
-If the memories of Snape are included.

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Nov 22 2010, 04:26 AM
Post #8

Huge HP Fan

Mad-Eye in particular had lines that I think better reflected the character better than what was in "Goblet" and "Phoenix".

Couldn't agree with you more here. Moody had the cooky-unintentional humour I loved in the books.

I am not sure what I thought of the casting for Scrimgeour. He wasn't in the movie long so I understand not putting much effort into him, but I'm just not sure how to feel about him.

I think a lot of this problem comes from the fact Bill Nighy was cast to be in both DH and HBP but was subsequently written out of HBP at the last minute.
If the memories of Snape are included.

you would think they absolutely have to be to explain why Snape changed sides and remained loyal to DD and to explain that it was on DD's orders that Snape killed him. Though then again, important points have been left out before...

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Nov 22 2010, 09:23 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (the_prisoner_of_azkaban @ Nov 22 2010, 05:26 AM) *
you would think they absolutely have to be to explain why Snape changed sides and remained loyal to DD and to explain that it was on DD's orders that Snape killed him. Though then again, important points have been left out before...

I think that is just a reason to write a book about Snape's perspective of what happened.

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Nov 22 2010, 10:12 PM
Post #10

Huge HP Fan

I think that is just a reason to write a book about Snape's perspective of what happened

As much as I think there are many other story lines JKR could follow up and write about....that could actually be kind of interesting. But don't worry Baty I'm not jumping to the "we love Snape ship" quite yet. I'd prefer a book from James or Sirius point of view first (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) Or a young DD adventure. THAT I'd like to see

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Nov 23 2010, 08:52 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (the_prisoner_of_azkaban @ Nov 22 2010, 11:12 PM) *
As much as I think there are many other story lines JKR could follow up and write about....that could actually be kind of interesting. But don't worry Baty I'm not jumping to the "we love Snape ship" quite yet. I'd prefer a book from James or Sirius point of view first (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) Or a young DD adventure. THAT I'd like to see

Yeah, I'm definitely not a Snape lover, but his story could be very interesting.

I went to see DH yesterday, and totally enjoyed it; though at times, in the beginning I felt a little disjointed in the way they went from scene to scene. I'm going to see it again today, and hopefully I'll have time enough to give a bit of a review.

+Quote Post
the_prisoner_of_...
post Dec 29 2010, 09:38 PM
Post #12

Huge HP Fan

Baty have you seen DH yet?? What did you think??

I saw it for a second time recently and loved it just as much. I'm just hanging out for the second half now. I'm so keen to see how/if they fit everything in but I know I will be so sad to see it end!

+Quote Post
baty4potter
post Dec 30 2010, 06:58 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (the_prisoner_of_azkaban @ Dec 29 2010, 10:38 PM) *
Baty have you seen DH yet?? What did you think??

I saw it for a second time recently and loved it just as much. I'm just hanging out for the second half now. I'm so keen to see how/if they fit everything in but I know I will be so sad to see it end!

I have seen it twice and thought it was excellent!! By far the best of all the movies even with some of the changes. All the acting was very good, but I thought Rupert out shined both Dan and Emma. They finally gave him something to sink his teeth into.

There were scenes that of course I would have loved to be extended, yet the ministry scene I was very happy it was over. My favorite part in the book is where Hermione was being tortured, and though I enjoyed that in the movie I wished they would have expanded upon it. They didn't seem to convey how crazed it made Ron. But all in all it was excellent.

I'd love to see it again, but probably won't be able to. and Yes, I can hardly wait for the last one to come out.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd October 2014 - 01:24 am